Sunday, November 29, 2020

Amid the news dregs of November - (Sanchez, German, et al) - the NFL is cracking at the seams

Hot scoop: There isn't much to slobber about the Yankee Death Barge that hasn't already been slobbered. I mean, Michael Kay unloads on Gary Sanchez? Who cares? Seriously. Who the fuck cares what a radio host says? They're paid by spikes in blood pressure. Or... the Yankees' will need Domingo German? Well, they need pitching. Get it? The Yanks might chase pitchers. Seriously. This is news? 

I'm not ripping my fellow citizens of the Yankiverse -truth-tellers and factoid giants, all. But yeesh, there is nothing here, folks, nothing to say. The winter meetings - virtually, I'm sure - are a week away. Once we learn the fate of DJ LeMahieu, a Yankee strategy will emerge. Until then, how many thumb-suckers about Clarke Schmidt can you eat? Until then, we ride blind.

Which brings me to the NFL, where - OMG, Katie, bar the door! It's happening... the meltdown. We were spoiled by the NBA and MLB's apparent ease in running short seasons. We ripped the rule changes, raged at the expanded playoffs, threw asterisks at the results. But, damn, they pulled it off. And we thought it would happen again.

Well, football is facing a third and long.  The Denver Broncos have four QBs in quarantine - not one to suit up - and John Elway remains retired. The Baltimore Ravens have lost 20 players to Covid. The San Francisco 49ers are now effectively an illegal operation in their home county.  Considering the rise in Covid cases, it seems inevitable that other teams will crash. Folks, the wolf is at our door. Those fuzzy-headed scientists who predicted a long, dark winter? Maybe they knew something. 

One thing my dad used to say - and I offer it to anybody who thinks Covid is just a hoax...

Sometimes, when everybody says it's raining, it's raining.

There is only one news story today: We have to hunker down. We have to get through this. If we can weather this winter, MLB's timeline looks relatively friendly. 

By mid-February, when pitchers and catchers would arrive, vaccines should be available by the millions. (Though it's a loaded question as to whether pro athletes should be moved to the front of the line.) 

By April, teams should be inoculated, and there might even be the means for small crowds to assemble. (Though it could be mid-summer before the turnstiles move.) 

By this time next year, we could be sitting relatively easy... and still be wondering about Domingo German. 

7 comments:

DickAllen said...


Now is the winter of our discontent...

TheWinWarblist said...

Every preventable natural disaster ever, starts with people ignoring "those fuzzy-headed scientists."

Anonymous said...

Those fuzzy-headed scientists should teach their testers some lessons. My daughter got a two tests approximately 14 hours apart in August. [She is a teacher in NC they made her take two] One came back positive, the other negative. She still had to teach remotely for ten days.
One 10-year-old in her class tested negative by the family doctor and came to school. The parents followed all protocols, and she was allowed to return to school. The kid felt bad again that night and was re-tested and came up positive. No one else in the class got Covid, although the kid had been in school with seven other kids all day. [They are staggering the classes so that only 7 kids a day show pat the building, the rest are remote.]
Just saying, while it is not a hoax, there is a lot of fuzziness still about what is actually going on. Hospitalization and death may be the only reliable metric
The Archangel

TheWinWarblist said...

A-, I can't teach you all the relevant problems with testing reliability in this space. And I can't be bothered to try anyway. Try Google School of Medicine.

HoraceClarke66 said...

What I loved, too, was that Michael Kay was REALLY sore at Ma Boone for taking a backhanded slap at unnamed media people, who he claimed have "overreacted" about Gary Sanchez's complete and total meltdown.

Fine, that's silly, they didn't overreact. So what?

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever