Monday, November 23, 2020

My Master Plan to Save the Yankees

After reading Duque’s “It's Sunday, so everybody - (yawn) - is unveiling their master plans to save the Yankees.” I realized that no, not everybody participated in said unveiling. I could think of several people who have yet to check in.  Baseball savant George Will,  long time fan Billy Crystal, and the cleaning staff at the recently busted for Covid violations, sex club, Caligula.

BTW, cleaning staff at a sex club is a really bad job. I know somebody has to do it but still…  Is there no other cleaning job available? I think I’d rather follow the elephants around with a shovel at Ringling Bros. 

Does Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey still exist? Who was Bailey? I always think of Bailey as not getting the proper credit and accolades. Kind of like George Harrison.  Maybe his name was George Bailey and somewhere “It’s Still A Wonderful Circus”

But I digress…

Not knowing any of these people I realized that the task of unveiling a master plan fell to me. So, with the weight of this responsibility fully on my shoulder (I have two shoulders but like to leave my options open) I offer, “My (yawn) master plan to save the Yankees.”

My goal is to be realistic. So even though me, and everyone else here, would make number one - have Hal sell the team, we all know that’s not going to happen. Same with firing Brain. It’s a nonstarter. Those are the kinds of ideas that Bailey would come up with in those circus meetings just before they sent him out to get the sandwiches.

I’m going to split this up over the course of the week. Today the infield.  

The Infield

This is not hard because the infield is not as broken as everyone makes it out to be. We need to resign DJ and get a shortstop. (OK that’s actually half the infield so maybe it is broken.) However, doing this basically sets the team up like last year. DJ floats, until the inevitable injuries hit, Gleyber goes to 2nd base. Luke at 1st. Urshala at 3rd.

So, who is this shortstop?  Well there are two types of solutions long and short (no pun intended) .

Long Term

Personally, I like the Korean guy,  Ha-Seong Kim

He seems solid. MLB Trade Rumors provides the following “ 314/.405/.541 slash — good for a 147 wRC+. Kim walked more often than he struck out (12 percent versus 10.4 percent), belted 30 home runs and swiped 21 bases in 23 tries. (He’s 54-for-60 over the past two seasons.)”

He’s prime age (25) Won’t break the bank. Carries some marketing advantages and can probably be traded if he can’t cut it.  Plus, NYC has a lot of Koreans so he will feel at home as well as never having to pay for a salad bar. If he lives up to his potential he will be good to great.

I guess plan B would be Lindor (Next year when he’s a free agent. Don’t give away the farm!  If we have to trade it can’t be Frazier or AnDUjar or any of our pitching.  (Maybe AnDUjar if they do a sign and trade and we have Lindor guaranteed for 5-7.  Do they do sign and trade in MLB? I know it’s big in the NBA)

Short Term

A lot of people seem to think that Marcus Semien has come into his own. (INSERT CALIGULA JOKE HERE). I don’t know, it’s both a short statistical sample and it seems like we want a bigger name here. But, push come to shove (INSERT YET ANOTHER CALIGULA JOKE HERE) I’d be ok with it. 

Be nice to get Didi back, not sure why they let him go in the first place. 

Or we can just leave Gleyber at SS and play DJ at second.  If we don’t resign DJ we can sign a SS and move Gleyber over to second anyway.

Tomorrow, the Outfield.


12 comments:

Alphonso said...

I think you need to find another Korean to play first base. DJ is as good as gone.

The Mets will pay him twice what Hal will offer.

Anonymous said...

The only one I know plays for Tampa. But I'm keeping Luke anyway.

Doug K.

Carl J. Weitz said...

I'd sign Didi to a one or two year contract if he is healthy.

ranger_lp said...

If we get Kim, the Yanks would lead the league in translators...

Anonymous said...

ranger,

Only if we re-sign. Tanaka. But yes you're right.

Doug K.

el duque said...

I'd love to see the Yankees take more chances with Asian players. We're still paying for Igawa.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Letting D.J. go is a huge mistake, methinks. The guy can play anywhere, and just led the league in batting. Granted that it's a short season, and that he's old (in baseball terms). Still, he's an invaluable piece of this club, and Korean shortstops or Didi reruns won't make up for his loss.

Anonymous said...

Duque,

Yeah, Igawa was a bad sign. A reaction from the front office to Boston signing Matzusaka. Like when they signed Jacoby because Cano left.

You win some you lose some.

Matsui and Tanaka and Kuroda were wins.
I also liked Ichiro even if we got him too late.

Not so much Irabu and Igawa.

Hoss,

I want them to resign DJ. He's my first favorite Yankee since Matsui. That said, you gotta have a plan B. Plus signing Kim doesn't preclude getting DJ back.

Doug K.

Carl J. Weitz said...

I hope the Yankees invoke Plan C: Sell the Goddamn team to a rich owner who wants to make a name for himself in sports. Bill Gates? Nah. But Mark Zuckerberg has always considered himself an athlete. As much as the Yankees and YES are worth, it's just a drop in the bucket for Mr. Facebook.

el duque said...


Tyler Wade.

Do not forget Tyler Wade.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever