Tuesday, November 24, 2020

My Master Plan To Save The Yankees Part Two – The Outfield

I should have saved “The Outfield” for part three because, like Godfather Part III, the thing is a total mess with a bunch of pieces that require narration to explain what the hell is going on. 

Side note – Coppola is doing a recut and some kind of major fix on Godfather Part III and it’s due out in December. I for one am hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Is this my segue? Yes it is. Except for the hoping for the best part.

The Yankee outfield is poorly constructed…

How poorly constructed is it?

It is so poorly constructed that Rudy Giuliani wants to use it as a legal argument. 

(That’s not a political joke BTW. When a guy goes something like 0-30 in court he becomes the butt of jokes or the head coach of the Jets. )

---

Let’s get back to the problem. The Yankees have seven outfielders, six of which are, let’s be kind and say, problematic.  Side note: I am including Brett Gardner because we all know they’re going to re-sign him for like, 5 million dollars.  It’s like the end of “Bang the Ceiling Slowly” this guy isn’t leaving until they carry him out.  

So, let’s look at the issues and then see if there’s a work around.  Here are our NY Yankee outfielders

Judge

Pro:  He’s great. Great in the field. Great at the plate. Face of the Yankees. Face of MLB. Blah blah blah.

Con:  I bought a Judge jersey and the third time I washed it the sleeve fell off. And therein lies the rub. We can’t count on him staying healthy. Is it his girl friend with her ride em cowboy chest pounding? Is it big guys get hurt in MLB but amazingly can play tight end in the NFL? 

Thoughts:  I don’t know. He’s not going anywhere and can’t be relied on.  Bummer.  

Hicks

Pro:  Does just enough good things to make you believe he is the real deal.

Con:  The rest of the time.  I mean it’s great that he walks a lot but Mantle, Murcer, Williams, Hicks?  

Thoughts:   I really wanted him to work out but it’s not going happen. His team friendly contract makes him a trade chip. Technically he has had enough big moments to make a nice YouTube highlight reel. So maybe there is someone who sees what Brain saw and is willing to take a chance.  I’m thinking Cleveland but more on that later.

Tauchman

Pro: Can back up all three outfield positions. Reasonable defender.

Con:  Opposing pitchers have figured him out. It’s diminishing returns the rest of the way.  Plus… Mantle, Murcer, Williams, Tauchman? 

Thoughts:   If they keep him I guess I’m kind of OK with it but really there should be a better solution for our back up.

Now our real troubles begin. Left Field! Slowly I turn… and then turn again because I took a bad route to the ball which skips past me and heads to the wall…

Clint Frazier

Pro: Golden Globe nominee. It’s his time. Hits in the clutch. Hits for power. Legendary bat speed right up there with Harley Quinn.  This guy is our Left Fielder for the next five years.

Con:  But what will we do with everyone else?

AnDUjar:  Can hit but can’t field  

Stanton:  Can hit -  when not hurt.  Always hurt. Probably can field but we will never know because playing outfield, what with all that smooth perfect grass and open space is dangerous! I truly believe he is not a malingerer, and wouldn’t it be great if he played like he did in the post season?  Sigh.

Gardner It’s time to thank him for his service. It happens to us all. No disrespect to a true Yankee

So, seven outfielders in search of At Bats. Let’s fix it!

CENTER FIELD

Cleveland needs a center fielder. They have pitching. We need pitching.  Hicks plus, I can’t believe I’m saying this but AnDUjar.  I will live to regret this. I know it. Really AnDUjar should be the DH and Stanton given a new address but that’s not going to happen.  Add a young pitcher and get

Carlos Carrasco he is signed thru 2022, 4 yrs./$47M (19-22) & 23 team option and gives us a number 1/2 starter because Hoss is right. It’s pitching. Pitching. Pitching. 

But Doug , you ask who will play Center Field?

Sign Jack Bradley Jr.  Hey, a Red Sox Centerfielder what could go wrong?  I’m kidding. Sign George Springer.  He is so good. But that’s not happening either because… Hal. 

It would also be the first of the Steve Cohen vs. Hal battles and Steve ain’t losing that one.  So, Kevin Pilar (and I HATE Kevin Pilar). Two years and pray that Florial figures it out.  Wait!  Tell me more about this Jackie Bradly Jr. guy….

Tauchman backs up.

Yes, it isn’t a great solution, but it breaks the logjam and gets us an ace!

LEFT FIELD

Clint.  We’re good.

RIGHT FIELD

Obviously Judge but sign Joc Pederson. Bats Left which we need. Great platoon guy. Totally destroys right-handed pitching.   Gets to DH when Stanton can’t (and we all know that’s coming). Can also back up Clint in Left. Won’t break the bank. They need to do this.  

So:

Frazier,  Meh, and Judge  with Stanton/Pederson/Tauchman as bench.  (and Pitching!!!!)

LAST THOUGHT

Salary is a wash BTW as we lose Hicks (10M)  and don’t have to pay Gardner (10M),  to pay for Pederson and Millar and  we lost Happ or Paxton to pay for Carrasco.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

DickAllen said...



Doug,

They chose the write guy to right! (sic)

That is a terrific and funny summary. I'm thinking maybe you should tear off the other sleeve of your Judge jersey and start pumping iron.

I am so puzzled how the Yankees became so historically penny-pinching about players salaries and yet, throw away so much money on long-term, losing contracts. We chide Hal as being cheap, but consider the millions he willingly squandered on (_______________________) and (_________________) and...

...the list goes on. You know who I'm talking about.

The Yankees seem to be penny foolish and pound foolish as well, sailing many under-performing hucksters into luxurious retirement.

Alphonso said...

SHit. I am re-writing this because at the ether swallowed my brain and words. So here I go again, only with more anger.

Judge is a legit all star right fielder. But his health is a huge issue. And when he forces the Yankees to reach into their bench, we go from staying at the Ritz Carlton, to checking into a motel 6 near the strip mall.

Hicks was a worthwhile acquisition 5 years ago. He is a place holder now. And if we actually had anyone for whom he was holding a place, he would become a bench player. He is fast but not " fast." He walks a lot, but is not a base stealer. He hits well from the left and poorly from the right. His arm is marginal. You don't win world series games with him as your strength up the middle.

If Red Thunder isn't our full time left fielder, we become a non threat. And he remains a question mark. Clearly, the Yankees still don't trust him. And not without cause.

Our outfield depth is scary. I mean, Gardy can fill in for a game or two, but he quickly becomes full time, again. Tauchman is speedy and a good glove. As long as you don't mind an " automatic out" in your batting order. Is there anyone else?

Please don't even suggest that Stanton can play a position. His position is on the bench. growing old, striking out and hitting some exit velocity HRs of 120mph. He is ours for seven more years. That will, with luck, be longer than the pandemic.

Outfield is a Yankee vulnerability, not a an asset. And when Judge gets injured, it simply disappears.

If readers are skeptical of what I say, just look at the outfields for the Dodgers and the Rays. Or the teams behind them ( losers in the playoffs ) . Then, look at the Yankees's outfield. You will yawn.

So, if Brian and Hal, don't re-build the outfield, we will remain a wild card candidate. And not, as they say, " a tough out."

el duque said...

Tyler Wade.

Hits, fields, fastest man on the roster.

Don't forget Tyler Wade.

Local Bargain Jerk said...


I bought a Judge jersey and the third time I washed it the sleeve fell off.

I would address the rest of your baseball comments, but this made ma laugh a fair amount so I didn't.

I.e., Good job.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Pretty damned funny, Doug!

As for Tyler Wade, when did he hit again? .170 last year, .190 lifetime...

HoraceClarke66 said...

Oh—and don't trade Andujar.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever