Saturday, November 28, 2020

Cheap-less in Seattle: Should Joggie Cano be in the Mariners Hall of Fame?

Today's existential question, courtesy of lookoutlanding.com:


Before firing the debate gun, some observations: 

1. Holy crap! The Mariners have a Hall of Fame!

2. The requirements for Mariners Hall do not rival Cooperstown's.

3. Catcher Dan Wilson is in the Mariners Hall. 

4. The blog has also wondered if Hisashi Iwakuma belongs in the Mariners Hall. 

Apparently, Nelson Cruz can't get in; he didn't play long enough in Seattle. (The fine print, eh?) Robbie did a five-year stint before his contract turned into a lead anvil, and to justify all that money, he took Hulk pills. Now, with two suspensions for juicing, he'll probably never get a plaque in Cooperstown or even a bathroom stall in NY's Monument Park. So... Mariners Hall? That might be as good as it gets. Here's the argument:

[I}n 2016... Canó enjoyed one of the best offensive seasons in Mariner history, full stop. Aside from the obvious contributions he made on the field, Canó’s sheer presence legitimized the Mariners as an actual force to be reckoned with rather than the languishing afterthought they’d been for most of the 21st century.

Frankly, the writer might be selling Seattle short. Cano lured in Jay-Z and Beyonce, but as hipster Mecca shitholes go, Seattle is one of the coolest in America. I suspect the final debate will boil down to PEDs. Personally, I don't put morality judgements onto ballplayers. Some of the greatest in history - Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, etc. - competed against each other, while many others were zonked with star sauce. I don't not buy the notion that owners and GMs knew nothing. Today, a handful of players still bear the historical legacy of guilt. Someday, baseball, as a whole, must reconcile the steroids era. 

That said, how dumb is Cano... testing positive at this stage of his career? Is there a Stupidity Hall of Fame? He's first-ballot!

One final thought: Those years when Cano piled up such great numbers, they should haunt every Yankee fan. Had they happened in New York - and they should have! - he would have won a ring or two. When it came to money, Hal "Food Stamps" Steinbrenner pulled out his pockets. The Mariners aren't the only team stumbling in the darkness.

8 comments:

Alphonso said...

I don't wish to suggest a thing...but the world of Seattle is built on emotion and coffee.

So, if the jogger were to unexpectedly pass away, say, while awaiting a latte grande, the world would soften on his use of human growth steroids.

It is easier to get i the Mariner's Hall that way. It just is.

So, here is hoping Robbie doesn't get in.

DickAllen said...

A Seattle Mariners Hall of Fame.

That can’t be a high bar to get over, even though Seattle is a relatively nice place to visit, especially at $25mil a year.

Seattle is to rain what Buffalo is to snow. Just pick a good month to go and then don’t stay too long.

It also occurs to me that had Robbie stayed, and added two more rings to the tally, the rest of the world would be screaming just as loudly as we are at the Cheatstros.

Oh, and one last thing: Bigger Papi never took juice, at least that’s what he says. Everyone around him - Manny, Pedroia etc, all got busted. Bigger Papi must have a better, smarter doctor. Or a good lawyer to keep his name off that list.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Again, I didn't think it was so bad that they didn't bite on mega-contract for a suspected juicer. What was so bad was wasting that money on Ellsbury, McCan't, etc.

But yes, Duque, it's past time for "MLB" and assorted stooges to decide what they want to do about Cooperstown in the Age of PEDs. Right now, the criteria seems to be, "Was he a nice guy with the media in the clubhouse?"

If so, in he goes. Hence, Piazza goes in—albeit with an extended vote, penalty period—while A-Rod does not. Ivan Rodriguez in—and not Jorge, who didn't even juice, but lost points by NOT being the dominant catcher in the AL for a decade. Because of a juicer. In the most ridiculous parsing, Big Papi will probably get in—but not Manny.

The big arguments for the juicers seems to be much of what Duque was saying: everybody knew what was going on, and the juicers were mostly competing against other juicers.

Fine. But as Bernie Williams has pointed out, then shouldn't guys like him, or Jorge, who did pretty damned well competing un-juiced against juicers, even if they weren't quite up to what we now think of as HOF standards?

And what about the likes of Bonds and Clemens, who would undoubtedly have made the Hall had they just retired before their juicing years?

Who knows? But I'm sure that, with MLB and Cooperstown involved, they will manage to work out the worst possible solution.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Oh, and Richie? I think Papi has changed that story a couple of times. At one point he was saying he was given PEDs without his knowledge. I think there was even something about him accidentally taking it in ice cream.

I know, I know: we're saying the same thing. He's full of it. And I don't mean steroids.

Funny how so much concerning old B.P. goes un-investigated: juice, his shooting, etc. If he had been a Yankee...

DickAllen said...


Hey, Hoss - that’s how I get my PEDs - Ben and Jerry’s “Home Run Blast Brownie Batter.”

Low fat, low sugar, high HGH.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yeah, that's my regimen, too.

What was that character John Candy used to do? Johnny LaRue? Always had a drink and a cigarette in hand, and one year he released an "exercise program" that consisted mainly of him opening and closing the refrigerator door.

That's my kind of workout.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever