Monday, November 30, 2020

Before anything can happen, Yanks must hold their nose and secure another season of Gary Sanchez

By Wednesday at 8 p.m. - just as The Masked Singer is launching on Fox - the fully functioning Death Barge must decide whether to offer Gary Sanchez a 2021 contract - or let loose upon humankind the currently reigning Mr. Yankiverse of Disappointment.

My hope: The Masked Singer SHOULD BE GARY! 

He'd come out in a caterpillar costume, sing "So Long, It's Been Good Ta Know Ya," then turn into a beautiful butterfly and fly off to the Dodgers. 

Well, if you're looking for omens, here's a weird one: 

Wednesday, Gary turns 28. As catchers go, he's still relatively young. (Of course, the catchers who last into their late-30s are generally defense-oriented, so Gary might not be chugging into the mid 2020s.)

So, what should the Yankees do? If they tender him a contract, he will go to arbitration and earn more than $5 million in 2021. 

If they cut him, they must find a replacement. There aren't many out there. They've been linked, via rumors, to Yadier Molina, 38, who last year earned $20 million. Really now... does anybody think that's going to happen? I don't.

Nope. My money says the Yanks will blink, hold their pee, and keep Gary on the bus. With him under contract, they can still trade him. If they release him, they get zip. Moreover, Food Stamps Hal Steinbrenner would be waving a white flag to the Yankiverse, signaling that he's pinching pennies, just as his crosstown rivals seem poised to pour cash over players like the Ice Bucket Challenge.  

Today's NY Post suggests the Yanks are crafting an excuse for Gary's miserable 2020 season. He was the victim of "information overload." Too many coaches. Yep, they'll blame the parking attendants. I didn't think a modern player could hit .147. Gary proved me wrong.

Someday, when his career is seriously jeopardized, Gary will wise up. When he steps to the plate with six defenders packed to his left, instead of just swinging harder, he will try to tap a grounder into RF. He will do it in batting practice. He will learn to bunt. He will feel the need to adjust. 

I don't know if he's there yet, or if he will ever change his ways. He's rich. Maybe he doesn't have to. But I hope the Yankees offer him a lifeline this Wednesday. If we let him go, we get nothing, and it's one more reason to fear what's coming. 

10 comments:

JM said...

Dear Abby,

The New York Giants, who play in New Jersey, held on to win a game yesterday that they would have lost earlier in the season. They are in a first-place divisional tie at 4-7. Which is funny, but I'll take any playoff game I can get.

I will not, however, take just any catcher. Sure, the Yanks will sign Sanchez again, but why should they? That's five million bucks Hal can spend on new shoelaces. Or some defensively oriented veteran catcher who hits .200, which is a big improvement for us at catcher.

Let some other team try to help him recapture his glory days of a few years ago. Maybe he needs to switch to a National League team, where he'll have a better chance of teeing off on pitchers who aren't familiar with him as much as the AL arms are.

I say, enough is enough. What about you, Abby?

Signed,
Disgruntled

Anonymous said...

Jimmy,

Good solution.

Doug K.

Anonymous said...

JM,

That sounds like a you problem.

Abby

HoraceClarke66 said...

Well, as I'm sure Brain will tell you, if we trade Gary Sanchez we risk facing him in a big situation against us, maybe in the playoffs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No, really, he says stuff like that and means it. I remember years ago how he said we couldn't trade Kyle Farnsworth because we might see him in the playoffs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ranger_lp said...

@Hoss...the solution there is to trade Gary to Pittsburgh...

TheWinWarblist said...

Can't someone just shove him out into traffic on the Deegan??

HoraceClarke66 said...

Maybe we can tell him that all the games in 2021 have already been canceled because of Covid, and send him out to our "Special Super Secret Training Area" deep in the Australian Outback.

Maybe a dingo would take him.

Anonymous said...

There is no reason for him to change his approach yet. He batted .147 and will get a RAISE. He will end up banking millions of dollars, return to the Carib somewhere, get fatter and hope he doesn't get kidnapped for ransom. H e will live out his days as a banana plantation owner or something seeing what 10 mil buys in the islands or South America. Salt Life!!
The Archangel

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever