Saturday, November 21, 2020

Fantasy Island: The Robbie Cano "What-if-he-stayed-a-Yankee?" question

On this dreary November Saturday - with virus cases soaring, with the weather turning cold, and with the wolf at our door - what better way to kill time than by imaging the world if Robinson Cano, back in the winter of 2013-14, had chosen to stay a Yankee?

That is Ken Davidoff's shtick in today's Morning Murdoch, and - okay - he hooked me. Davidoff goes for laughs - hey, it's a "What if...?" - but his jokes obscure some crazy arcs of history that would have been altered, if only Robbie had not chased a 10-year deal with Mephistopheles and jogged off to Seattle.  

A few changes I'd like to add, if Robbie had stayed a Yankee...

1. We probably would avoided Jacoby Ellsbury, whom we signed on Dec. 7, 2013 - a date that will live in Yankee infamy - about 100 hours ahead of Cano's exit. Ellsbury's eight-year deal signaled that Hal Steinbrenner was moving on, killing Robbie's time in Gotham. I can't emphasize this enough: Had Robbie stayed, we could have been spared one of the worst debacles in Yankee history. 

2. We would have missed the four-year revolving door at 2B of Brian Roberts, Stephen Drew, Jose Pirela, Dean Anna, Zelous Wheeler, Dustin Ackley, Jackie Mason,  Gilbert Gottfried, Howie Mandell, and former IT IS HIGH milk carton missing child Rob "Brigadoon" Refsnyder. Cano would have played 2B, anchoring the infield and probably batting third. In those four years with Seattle, he never batted lower than .280 and hit 97 HRs. As a Yankee, he probably would have done better.

3. We might have avoided Giancarlo Stanton. After all, it was Starlin Castro - yet another 2B replacement - who in 2018 fronted our side of the Stanton deal. (Yeah, Cooperstown Cashman might have found someone else to trade. But Castro filled all the boxes for Miami. Just sayin.')  You can even imagine a scenario where Boston - having fallen to the Cheatstros in the 2017 post-season, might have wildly dealt for Giancarlo. Instead of Jose Devers, whom the Yankees added to the trade, wouldn't it have been sweet if the Redsocks dealt his older brother, Rafael?

Ach. Why am I doing this to myself? Somewhere out there, deep in the Great Beyond, spins an alternative Earth where John Sterling still delightedly shouts "a ribbie from Robby!... Robbie Cano, a-doncha-knooooow!" to brighten our path in this darkness. Of course, there'd still be Robbie's PED scandals - back then, we heard whispers - so, we'd have our share of grief. And here's the reality: You can't go back. You can't tweak history. The butterfly that flaps its wings in China - Wuhan Province, for example - creates the hurricane that attacks North Dakota.

So, on this dreary Saturday in November, you hear the wolf braying? Don't open the door. We face the greatest challenge of our Yankee fan lives - a Met owner with money who is willing to spend it. No "What if...? can alter the fact that Gary Sanchez sucks, or that we have no starting pitcher after Gerrit Cole. Still... close your eyes and bathe in the Calgon warmth of a world where Cano had stayed. 

It would be better for everyone - and most of all, Robbie.

10 comments:

13bit said...

If he had stayed a Yankee, they'd all be jogging now. Running out a base hit would be a dim memory. That jogging thing is contagious, you know.

TheWinWarblist said...

So you're saying it would have been a different 7 years of misery and frustration? Different, but still ceaseless misery and frustration?




Fuck you Hal.

el duque said...

Warbly,

Yep. You summed it up.

ranger_lp said...

If he stayed a Yankee, he would have been on the banned list for life already...they could have renamed it the "Cano List".

DickAllen said...



If Bigger Papi hadn’t been whispering sweet somethings in his ear...

If Jay-Z, wearing a Yankees cap, hadn’t suggested he take the money and jog...

...we’d all be wondering if he’d get in on the first ballot and sizing him up for a monument...

And if a pig had wings, it would fly like an eagle.

Anonymous said...

Dreary November day? You must be one of the few remaining people living in Upstate NY
The Archangel

13bit said...

If Robbie were to start a ska band, he could move to Canada and call it: "Cano and the Canucks"

HoraceClarke66 said...

We might also have been spared the years of McCan't, and settled for more of Russell Martin, instead. Never a great solution, but at least a good-fielding catcher who was not yet in steady decline.

Which gets to the heart of the matter.

Refusing to match or exceed Seattle's insane offer to Robbie wasn't so terrible. It was what Brain did with the money he "saved": investing it in Ellsbury, McCan't, and Beltran when he was past his prime (though still, at times, a good hitter).

Again and again, it's not so much the players Brain lets walk or gets rid of, but what he gets in return. Which is usually guys with fault lines even casual fans can see from miles away.

It's Brain's insistence that he has some kind of super-duper, secret knowledge that is beyond the ken of fans, sportswriters, or his fellow baseball GMs. The man is a runaway narcissist.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever