Thursday, November 12, 2020

A relic from the past, the Yankee Top 10 Prospects List once again is meaningless, unless... UNLESS...

Among Top 10 Lists, Baseball America's annual Top 10 List of Yankee Prospects ranks in the All-Time Top 200, between Britany Spears' Top 10 List of Daddy Issues and Australia's Top 10 List of Alcoholics.

The actual BA article is embargoed, so no link here. But for days now, the names have been bounding about on social media, so, in case you missed it, here is the official Yankee future, according to a bunch of fat old Gammonites who didn't even have the benefit of a 2020 minor league season. 

This list gives meaninglessness new meaning. That said, here goes nuthing.

1. Jasson Dominquez, OF.
2. Deivi Garcia, RHP
3. Clarke Schmidt, RHP
4. Luis Gill, RHP
5. Austin Wells, C
6. Oswald Peraza, SS
7. Miguel Yajure, RHP
8. Alex Vizcaino, RHP
9. Yoendrys Gomez, RHP
10. Luis Medina, RHP

Obviously, if Top 10 Lists were ridiculous last year, they are now double-secret probation ridiculous. But that won't stop my Top 10 List of Thoughts on the Yankee Top 10 List of Prospects.

1. Our No. 1 man/boy, the so-called "Martian," Jasson Dominquez, represents the triumph of hype over hope. Sorry to say this, folks, but until he plays a down, he is a 17-year-old pile of bonus checks and YouTube videos - the latest in a platoon of Latino teens who were groomed by scouts and paid too much money, too early in life, for their own psychic good. This goes back to the dark days of Jackson Melian, Jesus Montero, Jose Tabata and others too obscure to name. It still haunts us in the form of Gary Sanchez. Again, sorry to be bursting bubbles here; some folks say he's the next Mike Trout. Great Expectations is not just a Dickens novel. It's the Yankee marketing plan.  

2. Numbers 2 and 3 - Garcia and Schmidt - should contribute in 2021. Dreams of success hinge on one or both becoming a solid starter. Garcia certainly looked promising, until Aaron Boone dissed him in the playoffs. I'm still wondering why Schmidt didn't see more of a shot this year. (He wasn't on the roster, and they wanted to wheedle an extra year of control out of him; that sucks, eh?)

3. Gill is the fulcrum point between 2021 and the far-flung, Colossus: The Forbin Project future.  He's 22 and  might become a bullpen thing next year. But he also sorta looks like the newest version of Albert Abreu, the eternal RHP prospect, who vanished from this year's list and might permanently disappear in the December Rule 5 draft. So long, Al.

4. Wells is here by virtue of being the Yankees' first round draft pick four months ago. He signed for $2.5 million. He's a lug - 6'3," 225, looks good coming off the bus - and might have to play 1B. After his signing, he was slotted in on most Yankee prospect lists at No. 6. (For some reason, he jumped over Perazza here; go figure.)

5. The Yankees should be flush with kid catchers. In recent years they drafted Anthony Sieger (No 1) and Josh Breaux (No 2), plus they signed several high-bonus Latino 16-year-olds. It's disappointing that none made this list, but the scouts are going with Wells, the new flavor of the day? 

6. Where is Estevan Florial? For years, he's been Official Yankee Hope Poster Boy, despite flopping in the regular season. This year, with no season to flop in, Florial has exited the list. Supposedly, he hit 12 HRs this summer in the intra-squad Petrie dish of Scranton. That number sounds incredible, until you think about it. Who was pitching? and how many did Eric Kratz hit? For the record, as a Yankee this year, Florial went 1-3 with a single and two strikeouts. Career AB: .333! 

7. Another disappearing act: SS Anthony Volpe, our first pick from 2018. Jeeze Louise, that didn't last long.

8. Seven of the top 10 are RHPs. This rattles me. Last spring, we supposedly had a huge wave of young arms ready to make our bullpen The. Best. In. Baseball.  Cumulatively, they all turned out to be Nick Nelson. Just saying.

9. TJ Sikkema, the LHP we drafted first in 2019, also misses this. Hmm. Maybe this means the Yankees are deeper than Michael Stipe, and thus we should celebrate, right? Okay... but...

10. Jasson Fucking Dominquez! If the Martian turns out to be the next Mike Trout, all is groovy! The Mets will be vanquished, the Redsocks owned, and we will rule for the next 1,000 years. All we need is a new DiMaggio, Mantle or Trout. Come on, juju gods, is that too much to ask for? 

5 comments:

TheWinWarblist said...

I find these lists meaningless and maddening, as if written in a familiar but still alien tongue ...

HoraceClarke66 said...

Beautiful, Warbler.

Me, I'm just hoping that Medina makes it so we can called him "Funky Cold."

TheWinWarblist said...

Funky Cold. You are old as fuck-all Hoss.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.

Nitish Kumar said...

LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever