Wednesday, January 27, 2010

To ease the depression, a hopeful note: Randy Winn hits in the clutch

I still want to just stick my head in a bucket of icewater.

I truly thought we were posturing, that we would never let Johnny Damon go for a few measily million dollars.

This is a dark day for Yankee fans. I don't mean to whine about Randy Winn. It's not his fault. I don't mean to complain about Cashman. He had a budget. And it's not my money. It's the Steinbrenners' money, inherited legally, though it all comes from us at some point, doesn't it?

Well, this is the day we bury the Yankee once known as Johnny Damon. Some commenters get pissed when we question Yankee moves. Fine. But I cannot see how any fan who ever appreciated Damon's play and persona can celebrate the end.

I hope they're careful about who wears No. 18 next year.

If this plays out the way most of them do (Tino, Nellie, Stanton, Javy, Nick Johnson...) Johnny will come back someday. They all get a curtain call, don't they?

2 comments:

dadlak said...

Interesting advice that Damon apparently got from Scott Boras.

Cashman: “On Dec. 17, Scott’s exact words were that he would not take a penny less than $13 million a year for two years. We believed him.”

http://twitter.com/TylerKepner

dadlak said...

Don't get too excited. For his career, Winn's OPS in these situations are .765 and .759 respectively. His overall career OPS is .762.

You can go back to being depressed, which I see from the SOTY address you already have.