Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Machado said to be "too pricey" for the Yankees

I've already blathered my fill on whether the Yankees should sign Manny Machado. I've drummed-up the drivel of 10 wild fans, spun the spittle of a bleacher bum brigade, ginned-up the jism of a hundred Gammonites... and, damn... I still don't know, I just don't know...

He's the best free agent on the market; he's young; he can play SS or 3B; he'll have a chip on his shoulder about the hustling thing; he wants NYC; he hates the Redsocks; he's 30 HRs and 100 RBIs per season; he bats third; he's not afraid to spike people, yeah!... but but but... we need Didi at SS; I prefer Miguel Dimaggio at 3B; we're overloaded with righty bats; we've got Troy Tulowitzki in the mix; maybe this hustling thing is worser than we think; and - damn - if we're going to sign anybody, Bryce Harper is the best fit; jeez, can't everybody see that? Are we really going with Gardy in left? Hummina-hummina-hummina...

One of these days, Machado will announce his decision, and I still won't know whether to celebrate or fling myself into the briny sludge of Onondaga Lake. 

But here's the rub: Already, the Yankees are getting away with the great billionaire's crime against humanity: Poor-mouthing. They are pointing to Machado's price tag, pulling out their pockets and rattling their tin cup. A month ago, $300 million over 10 years was way too much, just terrible, an impossible figure to fathom, oh dear! Why, we might consider him at less a price, but nobody should be making $30 million for that long a duration. Mercy me! 

Now, they're pleading poverty over much less. Writes Wallace Matthews in today's Daily News:

Sources within the Yankees organization tell me the expected range for a Machado deal will be between $220 million and $270 million, probably for no more than seven years, and there is no guarantee the Yankees will be in if the numbers wind up in the upper half of that range. And the Yankees signing of Troy Tulowitzki last week seems like an insurance policy in case they decide to bow out on Manny.

Forgive me. I feel like a broken record. But I live by one rule: Whenever the Yankees' scream about money, I give them a nice, 3,000-watt verbal jolt.

Listen: They have the money. They have the money 100 times over. If you are rounding up or down, the Yankees' money supply is closer to infinity than absolute zero. 

Right now, the Yankees fall about $3 million over the luxury tax threshold for 2019. Considering that they reset their tax rate last season by falling below the cap, they will pay less in revenue sharing next year. There is no excuse for this franchise to be outspent by the Dodgers and Boston to the tune of $30 million. No excuse. None. Where is my cattle prod?

Now... it's possible that the Yankees are simply posturing, trying to squeeze a few thin dimes out of the process. That is how rich men get richer. And until Machado signs, making Harper the new alpha dog, we won't really know. 

But there is no reason why the Yankees should balk at these price tags, without being condemned for cheapness. They say Machado's wife wants him to play in NYC. They say Harper grew up dreaming of playing for the Yankees. Jeez... you'd think anybody with an ounce of salesmanship could seal both of those deals in one New York minute. The Yankees are simply being cheap. On that matter, I shall never run out of spite or spittle. Hawwwwwwwwk-pttuui!

14 comments:

Joe Formerlyof Brooklyn said...


The only thing to which we fans can resort is to abandon the Yankees and instead read about what happened in 1936, 1956, 1976, etc.

Or just forget about the whole freaking thing. NEVER watch a Yankees game, on YES, ESPN, or anywhere else. Forget the numbers for Yankees radio. Become fans of lacrosse.....

To start, you guys might repurpose this blog and focus on the exploits of the Bawlmore Orioles.

when I see THAT, I will take my Yankee hats and fling them into the Rappahannock.

TheWinWarblist said...

Hawwwwwwwwk-pttuui!

13bit said...

On other websites, it says that the net worth of Harold Zieg Steinbrenner is closer to 4 BILLION FRIED CLAMS.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/steinbrenner/#4a2dffac5854

13bit said...

oh yeah...fuck you Hal and fuck you double Brian, you sexy devil. I know how you like it, Brian. we all know how you like it, but none of us will tell a soul, okay? it's a promise.

KD said...

as a percentage of revenues, Hal actually puts less into his team than Tampa ownership puts into theirs. (recall reading that on RAB so it must be true.) let that sink in and recall this fact next time Steinbrenner rattles his silver cup.

Carl J. Weitz said...

I agree with Joe FB.

If the Yankees go the "we're too poor/no player is worth_______" route then make this a boycott blog. No stadium games, no YES or WFAN (or local affiliates). Fuck them all! Draw lots and have the short straw send Hal a kidnapping threat of his son made from letters cut out from a magazine pasted on to a sheet of photocopy paper. Just use rubber gloves and avoid any DNA samples such as dandruff or drool.

Bang the drum day and night. Link to other blogs. Hire an airplane to skywrite "Fuck Hal the cheap bastard". Like some fans did in the Early 70's at Giant Stadium!

We will take this not a minute more!!!

JM said...

Sad.

ranger_lp said...

I'm starting to get a bad feeling that the Yanks will say no to Manny and Bryce. Betcha they feel that Stanton has a better year, ICS will be healthier, Judge will play a full year and Bird plays better....and that will be good enough to win more than 100 games. I'm sure their analytics tells them so.

Anonymous said...


Another way to look at it (Don't worry I redeem my self at the end.)

1) My best guess, and my earlier theory aside, is that the owners are colluding (not in a legally provable way) to bring salaries under control. They have been doing it all along with the Luxury Tax, international spending caps etc.

2) They (as a group) would be of the opinion that no player is worth 35-40 million bucks a year. or to put it another way 1/5th of the cap. Oops! I mean the Luxury Tax Threshold!

3) Another factor is the emphasis on younger players. Part of this is a result of the end of the steroid era. Players can no longer "magically" put up career years in their late thirties.

So the long contracts have become doubly dangerous. When it comes to seven to ten year contracts there are far more failures than successes.

Incidentally, none of this applies to Machado or Harper who are both 26.

4) Also, for some reason the young guys coming up are having more success than ever. Unlike football and basketball, baseball doesn't require as much integration with the team. If you can hit, field, pitch etc. you can play. There's no system to learn.

5) So to me, all of this is indeed posturing. The days of a Scott Boras setting the market with a statement are over.

6) BTW Boras is a legend for a reason. He is about to single-handedly change the way contracts are structured. His last two, for Kickuchi and Arietta are works of pure genius!

He belongs in the Hall of Fame. I'm not kidding. He read the writing on the wall and rewrote it. This is a brilliant man.

7) That said, and here comes the redemption part, everything Duque (and the rest of you/us) said is right.

We should NEVER be out bid! NEVER! If the owners don't want to pay more than $100 for a ball player we should be there at $101. It is inexcusable for the Yankees to be out bid. So I get it. They are playing chicken with the market and we could lose to an insane overpay like we did with Corbin, but all things being equal we should NEVER lose and really we have the bucks to make our own insane overpay.

Conclusion: So, yeah if we end up with bupkis let's convert the blog. Right now I'm thinking we designate eight of us to play Rotisserie or Strat-O-Matic and pretend that the games are real.

That way we can post about ourselves being cheap or get mad at Hoss for playing Romaine over Sanchez. :)

Doug K.


13bit said...

I have been boycotting for the past year or so. Have not gone to the stadium and barely watched. I will tune in to gamely on MLB.com, though.

I know the mad king was not really running the show back then, but we have not won the Series since George was alive.

Ken of Brooklyn said...

13bit, I've been doing the same thing for about the same amount of time, I will listen to The Master, read up and check into IIHIIFIIC, and that's about it. Something feels completely off concerning this team (management), and you all have very eloquently spelled it out in post after post after post,,,,

HoraceClarke66 said...

At the risk of making this into Yankees Anonymous, I have to confess to the same thing. The last time I went to a Yankees game was Derek Jeter's penultimate game.

I've watched plenty on TV since, and of course listened to The Master, and have thoroughly enjoyed myself blogging away here.

But for a long time now, going to the Stadium has been crazily expensive and time-consuming. I was planning to make my way back there with the team's unexpected revival—but it looks as though I may have missed that window of opportunity already.

Look, if the Yanks REALLY want to present an earnest, well-thought-out plan for going with younger players and lower individual salaries—something that will give them greater flexibility to wheel and deal—I'm all ears.

But they're not. They're just cheap. So there's no reason to throw still more of our hard-earned money at them.

And don't worry about a formal boycott. If this goes forward as it seems it will, the City of New York and environs will "boycott" out of sheer disinterest. But I suspect that Hal will be on to his schemes of World Soccer Domination by then...

13bit said...

"Yankees Anonymous" would be a GOOD name for a blog. Luckily, all my psychic, spiritual and intellectual needs are fulfilled right here.

I just need a hot stewardess to sit on my face and my physical needs will also be met.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.