Friday, March 1, 2019

Searching for a Didi in a Didi-less universe

Let's start with The Tulo Pledge. Repeat after me: 

I, (state your name), being a humble - yet craven and greedy - Yankee fan, hereby call upon the juju gods to bestow continued health and well-being upon Mr. Troy Tulowitzki. In return, I shall not complain about the rot and rank cheapness of certain personalities within the ownership orbit of said Yankee franchise. Bless everyone, thank you, Audrey Meadows, everybody! ARRRT CARRRRNEY! MIAMI BEACH AUDIENCES ARE THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD, GOOD NIGHT, EVERYBODY! 

Listen: The guy has shown up in Camp Tamp as a medical marvel, a resurrected star, a fable of redemption, a species saved from extinction, a blossoming tree of grafted fruits, a talented kid given a second chance by Adam Levine on The Voice... yes, all of those things, as well as the most important concept of all: A 100-day replacement for Didi Gregorius.

Yesterday, Tulo homered again, and the ravings over his spry, June Taylor-esque movements in the field appear to be more than mere YES Network beer-goggled happy talk. He's bringing it. I don't know how long Tulo can last, but let the record show that this crafty old pro came to Yankee camp in perfect working order, unscratched, undented, shiny and smooth-running - despite the mileage on the odometer and the tread on the tires. If he could return to his form of, say, 2014 - just for three months - whatever deal he made with Mephistopheles will be worth it - for us, anyway.

Other tidbits: Tyler Wade continues to hit. With a lefty bat, speed, and a mitt for almost every position, he looks like the new Big Toe. I've always liked Wade and still believe in him. He homered yesterday. What else can a guy do? 

Greg Bird went 2 for 3, continuing to push Luke Voit into upping his one-handed bench presses in the weight room. At a certain point, probably around the third week of March, if Bird is still hitting, he could leapfrog past Voit on the depth charts, simply because he bats left-handed, and we are still the Yankees.  

Nice to see Thairo Estrada hitting, perhaps reclaiming his future value as a trade chip. As you know, the poor kid got shot two winters ago during a robbery - he was simply wrong place, wrong time - and he came to camp  last spring with lead in his lumbar, a bullet in his bun. Becoming a pun... that's no way to be. 

And Giancarlo in left field for a change. What a gifted jack-of-all-trades he is! He no longer tops the list of baseball's richest players. The cross-hairs are gone. A career year, maybe? That's all we need. 

As for pitching, fukkit. Let's worry about Happ and Ottavino in April. Still, sad to see Nestor Cortez Jr. get pounded - again. Yeah, he was always ticketed for Scranton/Dingleberry, but he has to be disappointed. Cortez was a 1,00-to-1 long shot for an opening day role as swing man, but it's not a-gonna happen. Oh well, it's a long season. By July, to fill the rotation, we'll be turning over rocks and cashing in our Malo Cup coupons. There's plenty of time to straighten out before the Yankiverse is Didi-filled again. Nothing really happened yesterday. I'll take it.

8 comments:

Parson Tom said...

L.Mazzilli at 2B? Is Mr Met making a comeback or is his progeny building a minor league career. It's spring training -- anything is possible.

HoraceClarke66 said...

It was nice to see Thairo back and hitting.

I still have 25,000 of those "Thairo the Pharaoh" headdresses up in my attic. I can still see everybody wearing them in the bleachers, the whole Stadium bouncing to Steve Martin's "King Tut" as he strides to the plate...

KD said...

I took the oath, duque. Thanks for the uplifting post. I am recovering from the letdown following my massive Front Office Bryce Harper JuJu failure. Although players can be susceptible to the forces of our collective JuJu, management, and especially ownership, certainly are not. Colossal piles of inherited money must act as a kind of Lead Shield to our gamma ray-like JuJu ejaculations.

the world is a hard place, mostly indifferent to our pain, oftentimes cruel. I grew up a little yesterday. Now, what do I do with all my leftover California medications? Maybe I'll donate them to my 86 year old mother. She's having trouble sleeping.

KD said...

Hoss, it's 2019. That would be massive cultural appropriation, an unforgivable sin of modern culture. The SJWs would have your hide.

Anonymous said...

We have a good team. Remember, it ain't over until Frank Fontaine sings.

Doug K.

JM said...

Frank Fontaine was Jim Nabors before there was Jim Nabors.

Anonymous said...

King Tut, yes, but please, Frank Fontaine, NOOOOOO!!

Eat poop, Coop

Go to hell, Hal

Take a flying leap, all you Gammonite access whores

This Ol' Geez ain't buyin' what you got LB (No J)

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.