Sunday, March 3, 2019

Searching for meaning....

Spring training is like the search for extraterrestrial intelligence: You scan the cosmos in search of something, anything, out of the ordinary. It might be a radio burst from the burgeoning new galaxy Florial 2023. It might be a blip from the long lost, ancient star system of Larnaway 1999. 

But this we know: There is something out there. Will this be the year we make contact? (Because all these strikeouts are killing us.)

Clint Frazier: 2 for 3 with a double and a walk, and a stolen base. What else do they want?

Tulowitzki: 1 for 2 with a double, and he turned a double play.

Greg Bird: 1 for 3 with a double (and a K).

Estavan Florial: 2 for 3 with 2 doubles. 

Luis Cessa: 3 innings, one earned run, 4 Ks. I believe the Yankees are out of options on this guy, so if we put him a bus to Scranton, he might not get past Binghamton. Thus, it's in everybody's interests for him to pitch well. And he did. 

Danny Farquhar: Ouch. One third of an inning, 5 earned runs. First outing since his brain aneurysm, which makes Tommy John surgery look like a cold. It's a long road back, done in baby steps. Fingers crossed. When gazing into the starry firmament, signals of hope may come in many forms. 






10 comments:

ranger_lp said...

I'm happy for Danny...no one ever thought that he would pitch again. It's a great story.

That aside, he and Chance Adams now tie for the highest ERA in history.

Anonymous said...

PHIL DIEHL.

KEEPS GETTING OUTS.

KEEPS GETTING STRIKEOUTS.

ANYBODY NOTICING?

Vampifella said...

“I’ve made enough money in my life,” Middleton told Boras during negotiations. “I don’t need to make more. My franchise value has risen dramatically over the last 25 years. I don’t need it to rise more. I’m here to win. I think your guy can help me win, and that’s all I want to talk about.’”

Imagine if the current Steinbrenners took that attitude.

JM said...

Middleton...if only he would buy the Yankees.

By the way, in today's meaningless game with meaningless numbers, Judge and Gardy both homered in the first.

I can't help liking it.

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

Did anyone else hear John expose his inner asshole when the fan asked for an autograph?

Local Bargain Jerk said...


Did anyone else hear John expose his inner asshole when the fan asked for an autograph?

I didn't. What happened?

Anonymous said...

Jacoby Hicks did not play today because of a stiff back....get ready!

RtotheE said...

Also today: Gardy and Judge each hit two homers and Sanchez and Voit each hit one. There is no doubt we will break the record for most team home runs again this year (fwiw).

Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside said...

Someone dared to ask John for his autograph, live on air, and he snapped at them. I don’t remember exactly what he said, it was along the lines of “see this microphone? It might look strange to you but I’m broadcasting a game” in his hoitiest “do you know who I am” voice.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.