Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Letter to the Editor: Yankees need gimmick

Herald News (Passaic County, NJ)
August 31, 2015 Monday 
Dear Editor,

As a New York Yankees season ticketholder for nearly 30 years, I was in the Bronx last week watching theYankees lose a game 15-1. Besides the atrocious score, I had trouble deciding which part of the experience that night bothered me the most.
Was it not getting a cap for my son on Cap Night because the Yankees give most gifts only to the first 18,000 fans, claiming it encourages early arrivals?
Was it spending $19 for three ice cream cones that turned to liquid within 15 feet of the sales counter?
Or was it looking over at Monument Park and knowing that Jorge Posada had his number retired and has a plaque, which is an insult to such really great Yankees catchers as Yogi Berra, Bill Dickey and Elston Howard? Not to mention that Posada's number is now equated with those of Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.
If the Yankees are looking for gimmicks to sell tickets, perhaps they should study Bill Veeck's biography and sign a 3-foot-7-inch player to pinch-hit with the bases loaded, as the St. Louis Browns did more than 50 years ago. Then, maybe they can retire his number, too.
Stephen Gigante
Hackensack

4 comments:

Tom said...

Stephen sort of has a point. Price of entry to Monument Park has been deflated. I am no big Lupica fan, but he made one of his best points a few years back when he started a mock campaign to "Put Hector in the Sector," referring to Lopez from the early '60s.

KD said...

some good points but what's with the Jorge hate?

Parson Tom said...

Hey, hey Jorge!

I love him, KD, but I'm just saying that it's getting pretty crowded out there. Tino and Paulie? What about Bob Cerv and Moose Skowron?

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.