Sunday, February 2, 2014

After the Super Bowl, why do I always feel like I need a shower?

Well, the hapless Broncos and Peyton Manning did something nobody else could do all year: They made the Giants - (and Eli "the Wrong" Manning) - look decent. Good grief, the Gints only lost to Seattle by 23.

But why does watching the Super Bowl always feel as if I just survived two weeks of brain-washing techniques at Gitmo? How many times can a dehumanizing, violence-addicted corporation express its eternal love for America, in between promos for "The Following," in which a serial killer exerts mind control on masses of otherwise decent people? How many times are we supposed to ingest this crapola before we run out and try to kill Kevin Bacon?

When every two minutes brings another heartfelt pang of patriotic joy, does patriotic joy really exist at all? I'm sorry, because after the Super Bowl mind blitz, just to suggest that the NFL is a money-making machine, which grinds employees into simple-minded gimps, so billionaires can fondle trophies, is to speak blaspheme about God and America, which we should know by now are linked together by the NFL.

I can't take it anymore. I wish instead of running puppy bowls and kitten bowls, and alternative half-times, some network with a little courage ran a flat-out anti-NFL pre-game show, sort of the way the Daily Show looks at politics, or Talk Soup did at reality shows, and studies the pure crap being troweled out by these suited Alfred E. Newmans with microphones. The GOP gets to rebut the State of the Union. Shouldn't the rest of America - that is, people who don't buy the NFL propaganda blitz - have a place to vent?

I cannot blame anybody else for my decision to plop down and watch the Super Bowl. Nobody forced me. But there is an element of "cultural jury duty:" You want to be like everyone else - that is, to have that transmitter planted into your brain, so you'll lean forward when Howie Long takes off his glasses, knowing he's about to make an important point.  I turned on the TV all by myself. Michael Strahan - co-host of Kelly and Michael - did not force me. I ate that intellectual equivalent of a two Wendy's Big Bacon Burgers. As a result, I am preparing to roam the country with two thoughts looping in my head today: Football, GOOD... Must KILL Kevin Bacon.

4 comments:

KD said...

I agree duque. even I, the most conservative IIHIIFIIc addict of all, was put off by the NFL's "love of country" blitz. and the creepy Hollywood let's-honor-how-awesome-we-all-are award ceremony production values was making me puke. yet, I between all that crap, there was a football game featuring two damn good teams. Had to watch.

As I watched, I found myself thinking about baseball and how happy I am that there is far less crapola during the World Series. Perhaps because the passion is diluted over 7 games. Or that baseball is simply less popular. Or maybe it's because we have a Canadian team in the league, so we are an international sport. less focused on the good ol' USA, you know. I think that's it.

NFL! for the good of your thinking fans, get yourself a Toronto franchise and learn another National Anthem!!

KD said...

Alternative halftime show for the superbowl: A marching band invitational, featuring the highest-strutters from the 1890 schools. that would be fucking awesome!!

Gnaut Mee said...

Can't wait to count the Seahawks jerseys in Wegmans.

JM said...

Which players from yesterday will become depressed, brain addled, crazy and die a premature death from getting their heads bounced around since they were 9?

Not that the NFL is admitting that such a thing happens, even though they were willing to pay 735 million simoleons to the 4500 former players who brought suit against the league.

Yeah, baby! What a great sport. Second only to boxing.