Thursday, February 6, 2014

The conversation in heaven between Ralph Kiner and Phil Rizzuto

"Hello, everybody! Hey, it's great to here.  I'm uh... uh..."
.
"Kiner! Ralph Kiner! Holy cow, you huckleberry, I heard you were coming."
.
"Yes, and welcome to Korner's Kiner... wait? You're not Choo Choo Coleman. Where's Choo Choo?"
 .
"Hold on, Kiner. Somebody just said over the loudspeaker that my car is running out in the parking lot, and the key is locked inside."
.
"That's the kind of thing, if Lindsey Nelson were still alive, he'd be spinning in his grave."
.
"I tell ya, it's like being in Rochester. You know, Kiner, I'm going up there next week for a tournament."
.
"I think I was there last January 32nd and 33rd."
.
"A lot of guys whose last names end in vowels, Kiner, up there in Rochester..."
.
"There's a lot of heredity in those families."

"Wait a minute. I gotta get this in. Happy birthday to T-Bone in Morristown. White here is giving me a funny look. That's what the card says,  'T-Bone in Morristown.'"

"So this is heaven, eh, Phil? Yesterday, I felt like I'd lost 10 games in a row, without winning a ballgame. Today, I feel great."
.
"And it's gonna to get better. Pitchers and catchers arrive in 10 days. Have you seen this young kid the Yankees have? Alvaro Espinosa!"

"You know, I'm thinking Wally Whitehurst is ripe for a big year."

"Hold on, Kiner. Somebody just dropped off some canolis in the booth. Hol-eeee cow, you should see Murcer tearing into them."

"Up here, do we pay for anything, Scooter?"

"Everything's free, Kiner. It's like being in The Money Store!"

2 comments:

Mike said...

Always loved Phil and still do...can't say I ever dug Ralph anywhere near as much but back in the days when Cable TV was a novelty I watched my share of Met games, my share being enough to have unintentionally memorized the intro music to Kiner's Corner.

I know a lot of complainers said Ralph shouldn't be on TV the last lot of years but I always liked the idea of his continued presence. The few times I heard him my reaction was something between pained and admiring, leaning toward happy. It was good to hear him.

So: Ralph, wherever you are, thanks from Rochester!

JM said...

Ralph, Phil, Bobby, the Mick, Billy...they're all together now. Along with Rochester and Mr. Benny, of course.