Saturday, February 8, 2014

The A-rod Conversation


I was in Miami when A-Rod made his latest decision ( to drop his lawsuits );

A friend of mine is a mid-level attorney for A-Rod's team, and he and I happened upon each other in a bar where shots of Crown Royal Reserve ( better than Black ) were on special, during an extended happy hour.

My friend, whom I cannot name ( per Chris Chisty ), was in the room when A-Rod made his, now public, decision to take his penalty and just party-on for 2014.  Which he will do much of in Miami.

Here is how the conversation was related to me;

Counsel: " Good Morning A-Rod.  We didn't have you penciled-in on our calendars today."

A-Rod :  "  Well, thanks for making time for me anyway.  I have a few questions to ask regarding our planned lawsuits against MLB and Mr. Selig."

Counsel:  "  Fine, we'll be ready for you in about ten minutes.  How about some coffee?"."

Senior Partner ( whom I cannot mention ) addresses staff member on WIFI intercom ; " Ridley ( a legal intern from UCLA ), start the clock and assemble the team in the " Big Dog" conference room.

A few minutes pass, along with idle chatter about which AL pitcher gives A-Rod the hardest time, etc.

Counsel:  Okay Mr . Rodriguez; " fire away."

A-Rod : "Sirs and Madams;  I was just wondering what you think this entire enterprise ( suing MLB and Mr. Selig ) is likely to cost."

Counsel:  "As you know, Alex, it is difficult to predict the hours, the research costs, travel, food, fax costs, publicity and jury run-throughs that a suit like this might entail, and who knows what roadblocks the league may throw out there. But I can review our fee structure;

As senior partner, I receive $3000 per hour;  Our power counsel team ( three experienced litigators ) cost $2000 and hour, per person; junior staffers charge between $500-1000 per hour, and support
 staff ( such as Ridley here) are in the $250 per hour range."

A-Rod :  " I know that if we win the lawsuits, you take your fees and expenses out of the awards given to our side by the judge.  However, I am curious about who pays the on-going costs, and who pays, overall, if we lose?"

Counsel;  "  Well, A-Rod, as it is your decision to proceed with the suits, this costs would be billed, semi-monthly , to your accountant.  Or we can send invoices directly to you if you prefer. "

Side Scene:  A-Rod figures furiously on a yellow pad, multiplying numbers and hours, drawing arrows and decision trees.

A-Rod;  " Thank you all for meeting with me.  I have to get back to my boat.  I think I'll just take the suspension, allow the world to think ( erroneously ) that I did the juice, and drop the suits."

In other words, folks, A-Rod knew he would be pissing millions down the toilet if he kept up his dance.

He has a full year now to get back to 29 years old.


1 comment:

el duque said...

With A-Rod, it's always been about the numbers.