Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Holy crap! Baseball is almost here!

Wow. Birds are chirping outside, and it just hit me...

Monday, at 1:05 p.m. - give or take the final hernia strain from whatever national treasure bellows the National Anthem - the world starts over again, as it did last year, and the year before that, and... wait a minute, there's some cycle thing going on here!

Woah. I gotta sit. We'll no longer be defined by our last game - that depressing, 3-hitter, home field embarrassment at the hands of Houston. Stephen Drew is gone, and as of a Monday, I have no hard feelings toward him; I wish Drew the best. John Ryan Murphy and Adam Warren - whom we watched from seedlings - have departed; may both become all-stars! Who holds a grudge on opening day? And it's actually almost here!

Monday, at 12:59, just as some celebrity or political hack is tossing out the ceremonial first pitch, the suits from Comcast and YES will cut a deal. Just wait. Within 30 seconds, thousands of cable subscribers across New Jersey will see a screen crawl announcing the Yankee game is on TV, and all the posturing last winter was pure crapola, because that's what suits produce.

Behind the dugout, Rudy Giuliani will sit next to Bill O'Reilly, and maybe Trump, plus Judge Judy, Howard Stern, and some minor Kardashians. Hillary Clinton will be doing Carpool Karaoke! A-Rod's billionaire girlfriend will watch from her personal blimp over the field. The sun will shine, and for the first time, we can appraise whatever the hell Cashman did all winter.

Monday, one oh five. The earth will have spun, and we will have survived all the bugs and bogeymen, and that Mayhem guy from All State. Wait a minute: We'll hear the new Yankee in-game radio commercials! Will Celino and Barnes still sing their jingle? Will Geiko celebrate the 15th out? When somebody slides into second - safe! - will they be safe and secure, with New York Life? WAIT A MINUTE: What is Suzyn planting in her garden? What celebrity autobiographies did John read over the winter? What home run call will he give for Starlin Castro?

You know what? It's almost here.

4 comments:

JM said...

I'm cringing already.

cabish47 said...

And oh boy! they get to face Dallas Keuchel again!

Anonymous said...

DALLAS KEUCHEL?.....OMG.....HERE WE GO... I CAN SEE IT NOW.....AT THE END OF 6 INNINGS, WE WILL HAVE 0 RUNS AND 2 HITS...HOPEFULLY IT'S A TIE GAME AT 0 -0 , AND WE GET INTO THEIR BULLPEN LATE...(BEST CASE SCENARIO)....

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.