Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Two months ago, I'd have something whiny and caustic to say about scoring 14 runs.

Last night brought the kind of Yankee thriller that demands white-knuckled scrutiny on every pitch. My motto has always been: Give me an eight-run lead, and you'll have my attention, sir! And when Aaron Judge fanned with the bases loaded, ending the six-run second, I knew it would ruin my night. I'm still Groundhog-Daying that moment. Fortunately, we survived.

Not long ago, a 14-run blowout would still leave a bitter bile in my throat. The fat cat Yankee vets were simply buttressing their stat lines, and they wouldn't score another run for a week. Now, everything about the Yankees seems to have changed. For the first time in my addled memory, we are 5 games above .500. We won't face Baltimore's ace, Chris Tillman, in this series. Their CF, Adam Jones, might be injured. The Mets have graciously pissed away the NYC fan base to whomever wants to carry it. A month ago, we were mired in A-Rod's slump. Nobody could have imagined such positive vibes coming from the Bronx, as Labor Day looms. 

But we have to win all three. 

Swarzak one game (or Shreve it), and we blow the fantasy.   

And frankly, it can't last, right? Every Yankee fan knows that Gary Sanchez - "the Sanchise," according to John Sterling - will soon hit a slump. He won't hit .400. If he finishes at .300, we'll be ecstatic. That's no knock. He looks like the real deal. But he's hitting videogame numbers, and it won't last. When he tumbles, who steps into the void? Tex? Nah. Gardy? Don't think so. McCann? I'm sorry.

We have one hope, and his name is Aaron Judge. (I'd say two hopes, but apparently, we're not going to see Tyler Austin.) At every level of the minor leagues, Judge started slowly and then figured things out. Last year, when promoted to Scranton, he looked hopelessly over-matched - hit just .224 in 61 games. In fact, he looked so bad that Yankee neurotics feared another Trenton-ceiling washout. 

This year, Judge took over the International League - 19 HRs and .270 - though it's been on a Frank Sinatra roller-coaster - riding high in April, (.287), shot down in May (.183), but changed his tune, back on top in June (.343), then weak (and out for two weeks) in July (.160.) Over ten games in August, just before the call-up, he was on fire - .363. (I still think the Yankees should have given him number 13.) Clearly, the guy finds a rhythm, and look out. He's slumping now. If Judge can power through this mentally, maybe he'll take over when Sanchez cools.

But if we lose the next two, it won't matter. That's what happens when you squander a season, based on contracts. I'm just hoping for another white-knuckled game. How about 17-2? I'll watch every pitch.

5 comments:

Parson Tom said...

Ronald Torryes is the big story everybody is missing, with Chase Headley as Wally Pipp! (I hope and pray.)

Anonymous said...

JUST STAY WITH JUDGE, PLEASE!.... NO RESTING!...LET HIM PLAY GAME AFTER GAME, NO MATTER IF HE SLUMPS OR NOT....LET HIM LEARN...WHAT I LIKE ABOUT HIM ALREADY, EVEN IN A MILD SLUMP, IS HE HIT A SAC FLY (MADE CONTACT) THE OTHER DAY TO DRIVE IN A RUN, AND YESTERDAY, HE GUNNED A GUY DOWN AT 2ND BASE...HE HAS A POWERFUL ARM AND CAN PLAY RIGHT FIELD WELL WHICH FOR US, IS AN IMPROVEMENT RIGHT OFF THE BAT...

Anonymous said...

I got into it slightly with a guy on River Ave...he was incredulous that guys should play without rest, or that Headley should be replaced by Torreyes.

People are weird.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't give ya 17-2 but 13-5 is a nice follow on to 14-4. Makes 12-6 tomorrow a nail biter. Yes, I'm predicting baseball. And lottery numbers.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.