Friday, April 17, 2020

Eddie Murray voted all-time Yankee opponent at first base


The final tally (of 234 votes):
Eddie Murray (51): 22%
Miguel Cabrera (45): 19%
Harmon Killebrew (44): 19%
Rafael Palmeiro (27): 12%
Kevin Youkilis (24): 10%
Boog Powell (21): 9%
George Scott (11): 5%
Mike Hargrove (3): 1%
Scott Spiezio (2): 1%

For whatever it's worth, Murray's career record against the Yankees isn't that incredible. 

In 192 games, he hit .270 with 28 HRs and 100 RBIs. In Yankee Stadium, over 100 games, his numbers are .269, with 14 HRs and 49 RBIs.

Still, a truly great first-baseman who terrorized us whenever coming to bat. Bill James calculated him to be the fifth best 1B of all time. Sporting News called him 77th on the top 100 of all-time. 

What if? The Orioles drafted Murray in the third round of the 1973 draft. The Yankees first round pick that year was pitcher Doug Heinold. They selected SS Mike Heath in the second round and pitcher Howard Shoff in the third.

Finally: His 19 grand slams rank fourth all time. (The leader is A-Rod with 25.) 

3 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

So, the point of voting for a guy for the all-opponents' team who didn't do that well against the Yanks is...?

And hey, was that Mike Heath drafted as a shortstop the same Mike Heath who became a catcher?

Alphonso said...

How was the list derived? It didn't have any of our true nemesis's on it.

So, I am missing the point.

Whichmay be a first.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...



I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.