Saturday, December 12, 2009

In Possibly Coded Message, Gammons Says Goodbye to Redsock Terror Cells at ESPN


Yesterday, chief Gammonite Peter Gammons (pictured at right, during his days with the Monty Python comedy troop) Gammoned-off a Gammonlike Gammonball.
.
We will not reprint it because of our policy of not giving free publicity to terrorists. (We do the same every year when Osama bin Laden issues his predictions for the American League. )
.
Most of it is Gammons thanking everybody (except us, the ingrate) for being yessirs and toilet-flushers. But there is one incredible a-ha moment, when Gammons reveals something so shocking that it's still hard to comprehend.
.
He's a Redsock fan.
.
"ESPN sent me to be there when Dave Roberts stole second base and Bill Mueller knocked him in, and David Ortiz homered, to be there for the Bloody Sock and, finally, to watch the team my parents raised me with win the World Series."
.
Well, there you have it. At last, he's out of the closet.
.
"Thanks for all I've been allowed to see and hear," he writes.
.
Good riddance. And here's hoping he sees, hears and writes for another 20 years, without getting a repeat Redsock World Series. That should be his sentence: 20 to life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!

Anonymous said...

1) I hereby disavow my previus comment. I was drunk at the time.

2) Ketchup ketchup ketchup.

3) 20 to Life ? I vote Life. Give him Life !

Anonymous said...

Gotta love how he just skipped the entire dynasty years to talk about 15-year-old Kendry Morales. Then again...

"ESPN had me at Yankee Stadium for Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. Charlie Moynihan and I were walking onto the field to do interviews moments after Aaron Boone's home run. "Charlie," I said to my great friend, "We just got paid to watch the greatest game in the history of the greatest sports venue in the world."

We had finished our live shots and interviews and were getting ready to go to the Red Sox clubhouse to do the story about Grady Little's leaving Pedro Martinez in the game, when Charlie noticed a Yankee coming up the steps of the dugout and toward us. It was Mariano Rivera. "I knew you wanted to talk to me, no reason to go get soaked in the clubhouse," Mariano said, and prepared to be interviewed. In the past 15 years, Rivera is the sport's MVP and Cy Young, and in my 20 years at ESPN, he might be the most distinctive person."

That might actually have made me tear up, dammit.

Joe DePastry said...

Was he the one who wrote The Lumberjack Song?