Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Duque May Not Have the Prospect Thing Down, But I Do

I am currently in a southern clime checking out prospects.


Places like the Dominican, Panama, Venezuela and Puerto Rico.

I spend my summers in the dirt fields of Mexico checking out arms, speed and sinkers.

I eat dirt and drink cervesa with tequila, sometimes for days on end.

And when I roll into Tampa for spring training, I know what of I speak.

Some guys I not only spotted but blogged about include:

1. Robertson - When he was first at Tampa, he appeared in the ninth inning of a meaningless game and struck out the side on 9 pitches. I raved and said he was the goods.

2. Nunez- I picked him early as our utility infield guy. I saw he could hit but missed his bad glove. If he becomes an outfielder, I'll be good with that.

3. Nova - Duque told me to zero in on him and I did. Duque was right on. Ivan did not disappoint, not once.

4. Laird - I saw this dude at third two years ago and he had a great glove and arm. Then I learned that he hit well in the minors. With A-rod now taking German testosterone to cure his knee, hips and uncomfortable bowel syndrome, Brandon Laird may get a shot. More likely, he winds up elsewhere. But he'll be good.

5. Noesi - He really impressed every shot he got in spring training, and those opportunities were
too few. He also did well in the Bronx although they undeservedly dumped him back to Scranton

6. That large first baseman - I can't remember his name because we will never see him in the Bronx, but he is a home run machine and fields better than you think he should.

I'll be back in Tampa on March 1 and will tell you the truth about the remaining B's.

For those of you who love to look at my photo and wish me evil, I can't figure out how to download it here in this bean field.

If the Yankees don't make any more moves as stupid as signing that lefty dolt, castoff from Boston we can easily get a wild card. Are they hoping for another Kei Igawa?

3 comments:

el duque said...

Alphonso, write this down:

Jesus Montero in 2012:

24 HR
92 RBI
.274 AVE

Alphonso said...

At AAA?

el duque said...

You know what I mean.

The Show.

Jesus in The Show.