Wednesday, March 21, 2018

"You could almost visualize the leg irons."

Be still my heart!

The New York Times actually brought in Tyler Kepner to do an analysis piece...on Real Madrid. Kidding, kidding! No, on THE YANKEES!!

(Apparently, Billywitz can't be trusted with anything beyond, "The Case of the Missing Geese.")

Anyway, Kepner felt obliged to ask our Mr. Cashman if he felt "pretty comfortable" with this team. Cash, apparently flashing back to when Old George was still alive, immediately started channeling John Travolta at the end of "Blow Out" ("It's a good scream. It's a good scream."):

"I'm never comfortable. I never said I was comfortable. The best general managers are served well by being uncomfortable at all times. I think these guys all know my job is to find something better than they are. At all times, that's the job: to improve the roster when opportunity exists."

Uh-oh.

Meanwhile, Aaron Boone kinda sorta admitted that he wakes up with nightmares about the forthcoming season.

There's a great description of the employees of the Steinbrenner family shipping company under George's father, Henry, c. 1961:

"Those people looked like something out of Charles Dickens. They didn't have chains to their desks, but those people, you could see it in their eyes, the long faces, not a smile, not a look of pleasure. People were glum, almost cowering. You could almost visualize the leg irons. These people were bitter, frustrated, unhappy, but they needed their jobs."

George would be very pleased to know that he has bested his dear old dad once again. Even eight years after his death, he is still terrorizing his employees.

This makes it Soccer 45, Yankees 25.



8 comments:

ranger_lp said...

Has anyone actually determined that's the real Aaron Boone? Or some bot with an Aaron Boone sleeve on like in Altered Carbon?

JM said...

Boonebot never was a real person. How do you think he managed that famous home run?

Cashman needs to be chained in Hal's basement and kept away from any communications device.

I mean, it's not like it would be the first time.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Ma Boone COULD be the best thing about these Yankees.

Hey, call me a sentimental old fool—I know my wife does—but I LOVE that story about how Boone took that Cincinnati sportswriter who was going blind in hand, and told him he would help him keep working.

I think he has Torre written all over him, in terms of his menschy personality, and let's face it, that's most of what a manager does: keeps 25 young millionaires happy and motivated for six months. Torre was usually a mediocre to terrible field manager...and it didn't much matter.

This is not football or basketball, but the long game, where the strategy is usually pretty clear cut, and the challenge is winning the marathon season.

13bit said...

The missing ingredient here - Zimmer

HoraceClarke66 said...

True! Anybody know anyone else with a huge, plated head?

Anonymous said...

GREAT STUFF HOSS.....

I KINDA LIKED BLOW OUT...

THE CRITICS DIDN'T....

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, ALL-CAPS—I'm glad somebody got that reference!

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.