Monday, February 16, 2009

Exclusive Transcript of ARod's Apology to Selena Roberts

H: Hello?

A: Is Serina there?

H: You mean 'Selena?'

A: Yeah. Sorry. Selena.

H: May I say who’s calling?

A: Alex Rodriguez.

H: Hold on. (Background: HEY, LADY LUPICA, GET OFF THE FRICKIN' CAN, YOUR PAYCHECK'S ON THE LINE. NO, I'M NOT BULLSHITTING. IT'S HIM. GET OVER HERE.) She’ll be right here.

H: Hello-o? This is Selena.

A: It’s ARod.

H: A...rod?

A: Arod Rodriguez.

H: Oo-oh. Arod! Excuse me one teeny-weeny moment. (Buffeting sounds, loud click.) Thanks for calling me… Alex Rodriguez… on this Sunday, February 15, 2009… at five oh three p.m... What would you like to talk about, Arod...?

A: I’m sorry for calling you a lying, deadbeat, wackjob stalker. I was wrong. I apologize.

H: Well, that’s very sweet of you, ARod. Everyone makes mistakes and-

A: I'm sorry for calling you a lousy writer.

H: You did what? (Loud noises, banging sounds, unable to understand...)
Well... that’s OK... We all make mistakes and-

A: I'm sorry for mentioning Duke lacrosse.

H: You mmmm-mentioned D-d-d-yoo-oook lacrosse?

A: You savaged those students for a year, even after they were acquitted. You called them "American Psycho"s, called their supporters “loquacious bullies.”

H: Well, those were metaphors. I was probing the hot-button issues of culture, race and entitlement, which often are... uhmm... let's not lose focus. You were saying you're sorry.

A: Yes. I apologize.

H: That's sweet of you. Thank you.

A: Are you going to crucify me in your book?

H: Crucify? Of course not! I'm just telling the story of-

A: You're going to crucify me, aren't you?

H: Not at all. The truth will set you free.

A: When you're done, every part of my life will be exposed, as if I'm a Presidential candidate. Everything I ever did that was wrong or stupid, it'll be out there. I've still got nine years to play. I'll face major league pitchers while fans chant deeply personal insults. No player will ever have to endure what I'm about to experience. Used to be, the books came after retirement. Most players got to tell their own stories, without even being challenged. Look at Joe Torre. You're going to crucify me and make a million dollars, and I've still got to go out there. I've got to hit .300 and 50 home runs. If I don't... if I have a bad year... they'll say everything was just steroids...

H: Well... hey... nice talking to you...

A: And 103 other guys didn't even get named... Those guys, their names may never come out...

H: Gotta go!

A: My personal relationships... Sure, I messed up... but these are things most players never have to-

H: Whooops! You're breaking up! Hello? Gotta go! [END OF TAPE.]

No comments: