Friday, January 23, 2009

Bud Selig Tears the Yanks a New One

Fightin' words from the bore who made Milwaukee famous... as told to Jayson Stark...

Stark: The Yankees have spent nearly half a billion dollars on three free agents. So the kind of talk you hear these days from owners is: "The Yankees are bad for baseball … we need a salary cap." It sounds a lot like the talk you heard 10 years ago. Do you think the Yankees' actions this winter represent a serious problem for the sport?

Selig: I'm not going to comment on individual clubs. I haven't in the past, and I won't now. Every club has to do what they have to do, and I'm very comfortable saying that. I'm proud of the system we have. I think we've had more competitive balance than we've ever had. And we have labor peace now through 2011. So I'll continue to watch what happens in the system and make my judgments at the appropriate time.

Yeesh. That guy is electric. He should have a nightly TV show where he tells about his pet turtles while clipping his toenails.

And no, Stark didn't ask Selig how MLB can continue to allow the signing of 16-year-old Latinos. It's too hot a topic to raise in front of such a volatile personality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Which part are the fighting words exactly?