Friday, October 12, 2018

Should I Stay or Should I Go Know? Episode I

To answer Doug K.'s request, we've brought in The Clash to ask the musical question for key Yankees ballplayers, "Should I stay or should I go?"

Remember, in this feature we're going to be considering just what "going" will mean for the team, as well as what prospects (if any) for decent returns we have on these assorted flotsam and jetsam.  We want to hear all of your suggestions—and ultimately, get your vote!

Very well then, let's begin with the obvious:

Darling you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

Greg, our broken-winged Bird:  I think the big questions here are, was his meltdown this year due in part to his injury—and just how likely is he to be injured again?

The revelation that, for years now, he simply can't catch up to a major-league fastball, was certainly sobering.  Is there any way that could a symptom merely of a still recovering set of ankles that seem to be more delicate than a prima ballerina's?  And if we keep him, what happens if and when he breaks down again?

Certainly, we already have any number of possibilities to take over for him at first.  Not only Voit, but also McBroom, maybe Stanton or Andujar or Sanchez.  (And let's not forget Mike Ford!)  But at this point what could we get for Bird?   Should he stay for that reason alone?

Yo me enfrio o lo soplo?

Ice Cream Sandwiches:  Certainly, the putrid season he has turned in, one of the worst ever, has Gary Sanchez deserving of a one-way trip to Cincinnati?

But again, what would we get?  And how would we replace him?  I keep thinking there must be some way to palm him off on Miami for Realmuto, but I don't think Jetes would ever fall for that, not even as a cost-cutting measure.

Should he go to first?  But again, that would be wasting much of his value, including his great arm and pitch-framing ability.

This is really the greatest predicament the Yanks have to solve in the off-season.

If I go there will be trouble
And if I stay it will be double

Neil Walker:  A number of our pride have insisted they will walk away from lifelong commitments to the New York Yankees if Walker is back.  I'm afraid I'm too addicted to quit, but it's easy to see their point.

It's not just Southern man or Lynyrd Skynyrd that doesn't need old Neil around anymore, it's every Yankees fan and everyone with a brain in his head.  The very presence of Walker screwed us up all year long—a longer review of his awful season will be forthcoming—as it kept us from giving more extended tryouts to young players.

And in the end, of course, he was the magic, evil ingredient in the last game against the Sox that put our tender Snow Whites to sleep for the season.  To keep him around, even as a back-up, is to invite the sort of season Jose Reyes had for the Mets this season—or even worse.

To be continued!













21 comments:

Alphonso said...

Dear Mr. Clark,

This is always an enjoyable game, and you are several steps ahead of the Daily News and the NY Post in presenting it.

Here is the core problem:

The guys we want to keep....the players we must keep as our core...are the only players others want.

On that list, one puts Gleyber, Miguel, Didi, Judge Sevvi, Tanaka, Greene, Betances and maybe that lefty reliever.

The people we don't want include Bird, Stanton, Jacoby, Sanchez, Gardy, Walker,, Sonny, CC, Lynn, etc. No one else wants them either.

Then there are the unknowns; Montgomery, Sheffield, German, Lasagne, Frazier etc

And the black-ups; Romine, Torreyes, Crutch,and a bunch of guys from the bullpen.

What I am trying to say is that even the Hall-of-Fame to be Brian Cashman, can't pull off a trade that will help more than it will hurt.

That is the lesson of why so=successful teams build from within and only do a deal to fill-in a gap. And only when the opportunity is perfect.

We are doomed, is what I say.

We need pitchers who are aces at the playoffs. Pitchers who hold the other team to 1 run in eight innings, regardless of their line-up. We can't get that without losing some of our core guys. No one trades Verlander for Bird and Walker.

No one is as stupid as the NYY.



Alphonso said...

Sorry for my typos.

KD said...

Bye Bye Birdie

give ICS until the all star break to see what's up with him. work his balls off this winter. trade for pitching to a foolish contender by the deadline if 2019 seems a repeat of 2018.

Walker? NO. GOD NO.

Anonymous said...

All right!

Bird -

Send him to AAA because he has no value in a trade. If he gets it together... Dump him! As you said there are other options. Including ones you didn't cover (Cough. Goldschmidt. Cough.) He will never reach his legendary limitless potential.

Sanchez -

AAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHH! Keep him! I can't believe I wrote that but when you look around the league most catchers suck on offense and I guess he can always have one of those dinger games. Do I propose that instead of dump him, we drop him (as in the batting order down to 7th or 8th. (8th is second clean up!)

Walker -

Dump him then buy the team that signs him and dump him again! If my response was written musically I would choose the Theme From Dragnet. Dump, da dump dump! Dump da dump dump DUMP!

Next!

Doug K.


Anonymous said...

And yes Alphonso this is way more fun then the MIA Daily News and NY Post version. Thanks Hoss for doing it this way.

Doug K.

Vampifella said...

Oh gosh, oh gosh! I see Didi that is out for Tommy John...they'll try even HARDER to resign Walker now! LOL Or Manny, but honestly I doubt we'll get him. It'd be so stupid to take on another Stanton contract for what figures to be a 2 to 3 month need in 2019. I just don't see Manny putting up Arod-like numbers for much longer other than the ones found in his albatross of a contract.

Anonymous said...

Re Didi: That's a bummer. So now we need a second baseman. He was also being talked about for an extension. I guess that goes out the window until he proves he's OK. That's a shame and a tough break for him. Probably effects his arb salary as well.

Sucks. He's one of my favorites.

Doug K.

TheWinWarblist said...

Bird? Oh the Great Winged Albatross!

Since then, at an uncertain hour,
That agony returns:
And till my ghastly tale is told,
This heart within me burns.

I pass, like night, from land to land;
I have strange power of speech;
That moment that his face I see,
I know the man that must hear me:
To him my tale I teach.

Bird must go. Caw caw cawing into night.

TheWinWarblist said...

ICS into the Winter freezer. Temper it lightly in Spring to see if it is still palatable.

TheWinWarblist said...

Of Walker I will not speak. Certain things are best left undisturbed until they fade from consciousness. We will not spake of it again.

TheWinWarblist said...

Corbin must be signed. Young Nathan as well. Preferably as soon as the WS is over.

TheWinWarblist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TheWinWarblist said...

The truly aggravating thing is that Nathan Eovaldi would still be with the Yankees if they hadn't given up on his arm post-surgery. Not that we need pitching or anything. Of course his play with Boston far exceeds his lifetime meh ERA+ of 96. But even an ERA+ of 96 makes you an average major starter, something that Sunny and Loretta are definitely not. Good thing we didn't need pitching this year. Then again, Larry Rothschild is probably worth a minus 10-15 on ERA+ to any staff he befouls with his "coaching."

Can we please throw him into the Hudson? Larry, not Young Nathan.

Joe of AZ said...

I propose for Señor ICS what LA did for Puig. Hire a *handler"....sounds like the perfect position for our Buble gum blowing, nose in the lineup card, oblivious to everything baseball, sorry excuse for a major league coach Boone NVM he's unqualified for that too...

Bring back the binders as his handler that ougtta scare ICS so shitless it would motivate him to drop a few lbs work his ass off and start hitting again.

If walkers re signed they need to open a bed at the assyylum my mental health can't take it.

Bard Larry and Boone oh my need to be packaged and shipped the fuck outta here... To bad they ain't Hispanic or I'd be forced to ask our tweeter in Chief to do it.

TheWinWarblist said...

"Dump him then buy the team that signs him and dump him again!"

Doug K., you are a genius.

TheWinWarblist said...

I will point out that position players come back more quickly from TJ surgery than pitchers. Also that Manny Machado at 26 y/o is 2 years younger than Didi.

Anonymous said...

NO ONE IS A BIGGER BIRD BOOSTER THAN I WAS....

UNTIL HE STOPPED PRODUCING...COMPLETELY.

DUMP HIM. (SCRANTON FOR LIFE OR PUT HIM IN A DEAL).

SANCHEZ?

I DISAGREE (MAYBE FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH ALPHONSO).

I BELIEVE THERE WOULD BE A STRONG DEMAND FOR GARY SANCHEZ EVEN WITH HIS INFURIATING TRAITS AS HE IS STILL YOUNG, TALENTED, AND A CATCHER WHO CAN STILL THROW BASE STEALERS OUT.

LETS SEE HOW NEXT HALF SEASON UNFOLDS WITH HIM.

IF THE SAME BULLSHIT PERSISTS BY THE ALL STAR BREAK, (NOT HUSTLING, NOT HITTING, NOT WALKING, PASSED BALLS), THEN, IT'S TIME TO SWITCH GEARS AND TURN TO JT REALMUTO OF THE MARLINS....THAT IS MY PLAN.

NEIL WALKER?

EXECUTE.

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdPTQV9wl4

HoraceClarke66 said...

Sorry, Warbler, I stand corrected!

thecontrarian said...

Bird goes in a deal. He will thrive somewhere else with much less expectations. Sanchez has to stay, but someone has to get his head right. His problems are mental, not physical. Walker - he gone.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.