Monday, November 3, 2008

Break Your Heart

Today's Times goes deep about Jim Leyritz's DWI-fatality trip through hell. One of the saddest parts is this:

In the interview, Leyritz declined to comment on his feelings about the accident. But he did sometimes show frustration at those who have avoided him since the crash. He said he was not invited to the All-Star Game in the Bronx or to the Yankee Stadium finale this year. Leyritz said that he had a ticket to the final game but that he was ejected from the V.I.P. area by a security guard and sat in the stands with fans instead.

“Am I disappointed that there’s not a little bit more support there?” Leyritz said. “I would say a little bit. But at the same time, I really, truly understand the reasonings.”

I truly do not understand the reasonings.

They don't have to parade Leyritz out for curtain calls. They don't have to interview him at pitchers mound. They don't have to act like it didn't happen.

They also don't have to be cruel.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will help you to understand their reasoning:

He KILLED a human being while driving DRUNK.

It's really not that complicated.

Anonymous said...

Blind love for a former great can only go so far. No one forced him to pour alcohol down his throat and then put the keys in the ignition. He gets no sympathy from me. He pissed away all his MLB money and ruined his life, yet he somehow expected to be invited to participate in a ceremony? He would've deserved to be booed out of the stadium. He's a disgrace. I feel for his family, but other than that he deserves what's coming to him.

Anonymous said...

And just so I make sure I'm not using that term "former great" too loosely, I just want to clarify I'm only using it in reference to his playoff heroics. He wasn't a terrific player otherwise. Good, but not great.