Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

EXCLUSIVE: Sculptor Says My Selig Statue "Will Capture The Man As He Lived"


The worlds of arts and baseball collided violently yesterday when news broke that the Milwaukee Brewers will erect a statue of MLB Commissioner Bud Selig outside Miller Park.

"Sculpture and statue have been my life," said Eros Montoya III, a renowned master of bronze and other malleable metals.

"But I can honestly say that I have not lived until learning of the prospect of working on the Selig project. I feel like I am taking my first breaths only now -- like a newborn nestled in a post-delivery plastic basin, recently toweled off by the nurses and staring at the lights."


Eschewing the temptation to memorialize Selig in a neoclassical design, Montoya has chosen to "capture the man as he lived."

In particular, Montoya said his early sketches have focused on Selig as Congressional witness.

"It is a delightful area of inquiry for me, and I wonder what hidden messages the Commissioner transmitted with his index finger? Was this a code for another witness -- such as the Adonis-like slugger Jose Canseco -- to shut up? Or was it just a natural, human response to the dry air in the overcrowded hearing room? Using my hands and tools to try and answer these riddles literally keeps me up at night. It's why I do what I do."

1 comment:

el duque said...

A seven-foot tall Bud Selig... They ought to work that into the plot of "Lost."