Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Yankees mentioned on prominent NBC news show!


We're back in the headlines again!

Check out this exchange from the Today Show, Feb. 8, regarding exotic college courses being taught to our best and brightest:

JENNA WOLFE: Santa Clara University has a class called the Joy of Garbage, which if you're catching on here, is more than just putting your waste in the appropriate bin. Here in New York City, Barnard College students are just getting started on a new class called Revenge. And I'll bet you won't find a single Red Sox fan in this class at Rutgers University called Yankee Stadium.

Unidentified Woman #2: My dad asked me what I registered for and I told him all my classes, I said Expository Writing and Yankee Stadium, and he just looked at me and said, `Are you kidding?'

WOLFE: Want to sign up for this one? You'd be one of 200 students vying for only 20 slots. That's called popular.

Unidentified Woman #3: It's the most popular class in the--in the--in the first-year seminar catalog, I've been told.

WOLFE: Is everybody that signs up for this class a Yankees fan?

Unidentified Man #2: Absolutely.

Unidentified Woman #4: Yes.

Unidentified Man #3: Yes, of course.

Woman #2: I'm a huge Yankee fan.

Unidentified Woman #5: I was in diapers watching the Yankees.

Woman #3: We had a Phillies fan, yes.

WOLFE: Better than a Red Sox fan.

Woman #3: Well, we haven't had a Red Sox fan yet. I don't think they would come.

WOLFE: A class about the Yankees may seem like a no-brainer if you're interested in sports management, but discussions have ranged from business to sociology to philanthropy, and yeah, also, the captain of the baseball team.

If I told you that Jeter is actually here today and is going to come in and speak to you, you don't--that doesn't affect you at all because you don't really care because you know it's just about the stadium, right?

Woman #2: I wouldn't go that far.

WOLFE: They did think the class was about Derek Jeter. I scored! I got to the bottom. Tell Derek he doesn't have to come. No, they don't care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Jenna Wolfe was a sports reporter on WABC, I remember that
she was very pro-Yankees and anti-Mets/Red Sox.

I do not know the allegiances of the other Today Show personalities.