Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Monday, February 22, 2010

Last NIght, Chan Ho Park Was Ice-Dancing

I was in Vancouver last night, watching the bobsled re-runs at a bar called, " End of the Line."


After watching the 50th two man bobbers sliding down the chute, I was nearly seeing double. They should color code the sections of the ice, or do anything, to make this a better watch.

If the paint jobs on the sleds weren't different, every run would look the same. I thought I had had too many canadian whiskeys.

Maybe that's the trick; have only white sleds and white uniforms for everyone. Only at the end of each team's run does a scanner read a bar code to know who did what.

Anyway, they have a frozen pond out back of the bar, where they throw people out. Just before 2 am, some guy I faintly recognized shows up with a 200 plus pound dame (in a fur coat and pigtails), ten pair of lace up skates, a cowboy suit, a farmer's bib, and a jouba, and heads down to the pond.

As soon as I saw the old Dodger blouse, I remembered it was Chan Ho.

He left a trail of money on the floor of the bar, and mumbled something about being a Yankee now.

I can't think of anything better for the new Yanks: adding yet another 40 year old on the cheap. Maybe Chan and Kei can skate together in a twin bill later this season.

Why do I think the new Yanks are headed for a major spill. A DNF medal. This is looking worse every hour. The 2009 season will be on wild world of sports as the updated, agony of defeat.

But the 200 pounder was far more agile than I expected.


3 comments:

I'm Bill White said...

I apologize for not noticing this before, but in re: your profile pic(1) is that sweat on your shirt or beer spray; and (2) what's in your front pocket?

Inquiring minds want to know.

el duque said...

Is there a law that says every former all-star has to play for the Yankees once before they retire?

I'm Bill White said...

I believe it is a law in Massachusetts, yes.