Wednesday, July 14, 2010

George Thought He Owned Everything


From Syracuse Chiefs' Tex Simone recalls Yankee boss George Steinbrenner, Syracuse.com:
Steinbrenner’s relationship with Simone began in 1973, when he bought the Yankees from CBS. The Triple-A Chiefs had been the Yankees’ top farm club since 1967 and Simone then was the Chiefs’ general manager.

The Boss's legendary headstrong manner made itself apparent right away.
“When he bought the New York Yankees he thought he bought the Syracuse Chiefs with it,” Simone said. Not so – the Chiefs, then and now, are a community-owned baseball club.

“I had to explain it all to him and he didn’t believe me, that we owned it and he didn’t own it,” Simone said. “I had to convince him and he believed me, finally.”

1 comment:

I'm Bill White said...

Too bad he didn't own the Chiefs.