Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Friday, July 22, 2016

Winning, getting nowhere

For a few days, I almost felt the Tingle. That is, I almost started to believe. Silly me. But that's what the Yankees do to you. That's how they control you.

They win four straight, knock Uncle Buck out of first, and suddenly, Michael Pineda is Jesus, resurrected. You almost feel the Tingle... Four in a row. Could they do it? What if this is 1978 again? Can they do it? They were really behind in 1978. Could they? (Answers: No. It's not 1978. No. This is different. No.)

In a weird way, ardent Yank fans are aligned with Trump supporters. We want to make the Yankees great again. We think this team is a complete disaster, and we trace every problem to ineffective leadership. We've seen enough of this administration. We want a top-down overhaul. We want Food Stamps Hal indicted for his crimes against the Yankees. We're not going to be "servile puppy dogs." It's time to tear up old trade agreements and make new deals. Don't ask us about specifics. We have no specifics. (Besides, we don't want to reveal our plans, so the Redsocks don't know what we're doing.) We just want deals. Good deals! Better deals! We want to build a team, and we want Mexico to pay for it.

But there is a problem with deals: They don't always work. If we trade Andrew Miller - the great Andrew Miller - we better damn well get somebody great in return. We don't need four rebuilt versions of Humberto Sanchez. I cannot imagine the Yankees holding onto Aroldis Chapman, considering that he'll soon become a high-priced free agent, (whom Food Stamps won't sign.) But we can't just give the guy away for another Aaron Hicks. We must shake up this roster and this team. But more importantly, we must shake up this franchise...

Watching us take three of four from the O's was a strangely painful experience. At times, I actually rooted for Baltimore. The wins didn't matter - I can't see the 2016 Yankees doing anything memorable - and a few wins could allow Hal to justify trading prospects - (Luis Severino - the Malasian Flight 370 of the Yankees - as the next Manny Baneulos?) - and sacrificing our future, even more than it already has been. When I look at 2017-18, I see Boston's lineup - with Yoan Moncada - as the AL East power, the way the Yankees used to be. We've been waiting on our farm system now 10 years. We have Dellin Betances, a converted starter, and not much else. The problem isn't the Yankees 25-man roster. The problem is a 25-man masthead full of family meatballs and heel-clicking sycophants. Between now and August 1, the trade deadline - every win comes with a cost. Feeling the Tingle will be one scary sensation.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS IS CASHMAN'S "HIGH NOON"...... JUST READ CHAPMAN MAY GO TODAY...THE HAUL FOR HIM BETTER BE RIGHT.

JM said...

I can't find that Chapman rumor/item anywhere, but I believe you, Anonymous.

Who's next?

Rose City Wobbly said...

Weeks ago I would have predicted that is the perfect storm for you - with our SF Giants heading into the Bronx for a three game series - and us with the best record in the majors. (You guys still play in the Bronx don't you - or is it's just that you've banned folks from the Bronx from attending since getting NYC to build the new stadium?) Well I think the tables have turned. We've lost 5 straight out of the break to the likes of the Pods and the Sauks on the road .... we look weak and out of sorts and ready to be had by the great JuJu resurrection ....

If I had a blog - would we would be ringing our hands; ruminating like you panty-waist lemmings ... and begging for some celestial assistance? No ... we aren't and won't because we are the freaking even-year-world freaking MLB champs and we put on our pants one leg at a time; stirrup socks too; and get the job done. And nothing phases us .... Watch us come back and grab 2 our 3 off your stinking carcasses ... and continue down the road ... like the champs we will once again be ....

So root for us or your carcasses or both or neither. Kidding aside enjoy the weekend - I for one am looking forward to it!

We go with our stud Mad Bum vs your wrestler Tanaka, our tight end Samardzjia vs the Nova-caine and then it is our Psychiatrist Cueto vs your Triple AAA Eovaldi ..... What a weekend card.

Local Bargain Jerk said...

Rose City Wobbly:

Which Giants blog do you hang around on? Perhaps a few of us might like to visit.

Anonymous said...

JOHN, IT WAS BUSTER OLNEY WHO WROTE CHAPMAN MAY GO TODAY....

JM said...

Thanks, Anon.

Wobbly, really? You come here and gauntlet us in such a manner? (I did the Rumsfeld thing turning a noun into a verb, slick, ain't it?) This is horrible juju for you. And you are currently losing as a result.

Be careful, Bay Boy. Nothing matches the power of juju but the power of reverse juju.

😄

I hate emojis.

JM said...

Btw, we should trade Betances. He's the one who screws up with any regularity at all. Just saying.

I'm Bill White said...

I hope Ref gets traded for his sake. And I'd like to ghost write his book on the Yankee years.

Alphonso said...

I saw Ref hit a home run in Boston last year. Since that time, every at bat of his that I have watched has been a walk or an out. Wait, I also saw an infield single.

My point; I am not overwhelmed by his ability. He looks to be about a .260 hitter without power.

Better than most hitters in the current line-up, but not a player that will change anything for the Yanks.

I like his grit. But that doesn't get you much when the rest of the team sucks.

I used to be passionate about keeping him a Yankee, and giving him a legit shot.

Now, I am indifferent. More or less.

Anonymous said...

...BUT REF PLAYS FOR A DAY OR TWO....MAKES AN ERROR OR SPITS A SUNFLOWER SEED THE WRONG WAY, AND HE SITS FOR 4 DAYS STRAIGHT.... TOUGH PRODUCING LIKE THAT.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.