Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Saturday, September 3, 2016

One game, four losses, and a sense of urgency

Last night, while Ben Gamel was igniting an 11-run outburst in Seattle, (two walks and a run scored, woo-woo!) we lost ground to the O's, Tigers, Redsocks and - yes -the Gamel/Joggy Cano-led Microsoft Mariners.

Worse, we may have lost another elbow. Chad Green walked off in the second inning, grimacing in pain and embarrassment. Whenever a Yankee pitcher tweaks a thingy - even a dingy thingy - we immediately declare Defcon 5, unsheath the Bryan Mitchell Memorial Life Raft, and run around like airport travelers after a firecracker, which is a notch on the evolutionary scale below headless chickens. It was a terrible night. Absolutely terrible. In the first inning, when Green narrowly escaped his bases loaded jam, my spider sense began tingling about the game, but I assured myself that Green was a young horse who could handle the load of pitching a whole extra month. Now, yeesh: He's an MRI away from missing 2017.

(For the record: Justin Wilson, whom we traded for Green and Luis Cessa, pitched last night for Detroit and gave up three hits, not recording an out.)

(For the record II: Yoan Moncada came to bat twice in last night's Boston blowout over the A's. He walked and struck out.)

In a nutshell: We cannot leave Baltimore five down in the loss column. It would hurt to lose two out of three, but if we are swept, I'm Bogarting the bath salts. A sweep would be lethal. A sweep - I don't even want to think about it.

I hereby propose a weekend moratorium on screaming about the Yankee management and owner. A lot of shit happened over the last four years to dig this deep hole. I believe that we have finally stopped digging and are actually on an upward trajectory. But now, we face an ugly truth: We're not that good. We are one, two - maybe three years away from winning the AL East. Our lineup includes several players whose only role in that future uprising will come in trade value. We thought there might be some magic left in this season. I'm not surrendering. But the life rafts are unsheathed.

5 comments:

JM said...

Goody and Yates, respectively, suck and suck.

We really have noone else at AAA better than these two? Really?

This game was lost when Girardi brought in those two. When Green left, it wasn't a lost cause. It was early. Shutting the door might have given us some oomph.

But remember: the whole point here is, we're trying to win. That's why we play the old, washed-up guys and bring in Goody and Yates. And why we benched A-Rod for a month.

Winning is all that matters.

Parson Tom said...

Ok, duque. As you wish. For this holiday weekend, I will cease my caterwauling about Yankee management.

100 percent focused on the games and the fine young men wearing the Yankee laundry. 100 percent!

Alphonso said...

No fucking way.

Anonymous said...

SWARZAK, AND YATES........ NICE JOB BRINGING IN THAT KIND OF QUALITY, CASH!!!....EXCELLENT WORK!.......... SPRINKLE IN A LITTLE GOODY, AND YOU WIND UP SAYING TO YOURSELF, "WE ARE THE FUCKING NEW YORK YANKEES.... HOW DO WE END UP DICKING AROUND WITH GUYS LIKE THESE?"...... ITS NUTS.....IT'S REALLY NUTS.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.