Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Triple-A Championship is Named After Underpants


The Triple-A National Championship our boys won last night is actually The Gildan Triple-A National Championship, its naming rights held by a Canadian manufacturer of boxer shorts you have to dry clean made by starving Haitians under "some of the harshest working conditions anywhere in the global apparel industry." Their workers in Honduras and the Dominican Republic endure similar treatment.

Predictably, the company thinks as little of the tax collector as of the seamstress. According to the Toronto Star:
[Gildan] has declared more than $1.3 billion (U.S.) in income over the last five years but has paid only $37.9 million in tax, according to its corporate annual reports. That is the equivalent of a 2.8 per cent annual tax rate.
Glenn Chamandy, president and CEO, told the Globe and Mail he long ago adopted his grandfather's motto: “In business, you don’t make money, you save it.” 

Funnily enough, Gildan has been ranked by Maclean's Magazine as one of their Top 50 Socially Responsible Corporations as recently as 2014. 

Our congratulations go out once again to the RailRiders, the Yankees and Minor League Baseball!

2 comments:

JM said...

It's nice to know that Canadians can be just as greedy, venal and amoral as American businesspeople.

Good neighbors.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.