Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Thursday, March 9, 2017

The Jose Quintana trade rumors won't go away

Throughout the 2016 Presidential campaign, every week or two, Donald Trump would say something outrageous, and the "experts" would say, "That's it! He's done! He can't win now!" But Trump kept rolling...

That's how I'm now seeing the Jose Quintana trade.

Since December, the Yankees have repeatedly said there is no trade, that we'll stick with youth, that Chicago wants too much, and that the White Sox can go to hell. "That's it. They're done. It can't happen now." But the rumors keep rolling.

Today, once again, we hear that White Sox watch every Yankee game, scouting our prospects. If I could, I would stand at the gates and refuse them entry. Moreover, these rumors seem to rise whenever one of the Yankee starter candidates - yesterday it was Luis Severino; a few days earlier, Bryan Mitchell - gets cuffed around. They're like whispers about your bald spot. You'd blissfully forgotten it, and suddenly, you realize it had never gone.

It's no secret that the Yankees have a glut of prospects, and that they must winnow their herd before next December's Rule 5 draft. Still, I dread a Quintana trade, because of its implications: That the Yankees - once their YES ratings slump - will toss out their long-range plans and chase the 2017 Wild Card like a beagle on a garbage truck. After all, this was why they signed Chris Carter. And it's why they could end up dealing youngsters at the July 31 trade deadline. 

Quintana is 28. He's relatively cheap. We could have him for three years. Still, he has thrown 200 innings or more in each of the last four seasons. Whenever we make a deal, the hubris-laden Yankiverse shouts that we obtained a solid pitcher and gave up next to nothing. But all I see is Javier Vazquez, Jeff Weaver, Kevin Brown, Esteban Loaiza, etc... for Jay Buhner, Doug Drabek and Willie McGee. 

Just seems to me, if we hold onto the prospects, we eventually cannot miss. If we start trading them for a short-term gain... 

But let's face it: The rumors aren't going away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I WILL SAY THIS...... WATCHING THESE SPRING TRAINING GAMES WITH ALL THESE HOT PROSPECTS WE HAVE, YOU HAVE TO SAY TO YOURSELF, "WE DON'T HAVE NEARLY ENOUGH ROSTER SPOTS TO MATCH ALL OF OUR PROSPECTS, SO WHAT DO WE DO WITH ALL OF THEM, IF WE DON'T MAKE ANY TRADES, OR DUMP SALARIES BY RELEASING ANYONE?" ....... THE ANSWER IS TRADE SOME PROSPECTS FOR HOPEFULLY, A STAR PITCHER....... I DON'T THINK JOSE QUINTANA IS ANYWHERE NEAR A STAR PITCHER.....CHRIS SALE WAS........CAN WE TRUST CASHMAN TO NOT GET RAPED IN ANY DEAL FOR A PITCHER?.... LOOKING AT HIS PAST "PITCHING" TRADES, THE ANSWER IS NO....... STAND PAT.

Anonymous said...

Agree, 110 percent, A-C: If Cash-Puss were to pull the trigger on this, SOMEthing will go wrong - - fer'shure!! LB (No J)

Anonymous said...

I HEAR YA anon..

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.