Kevin Baker's book is here!

Kevin Baker's book is here!
"... an exemplary sports book..." Kirkus Reviews

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Juju gods laughing: Pineda's greatest outing ever happens in an exhibition game

The half-go juggernaut keeps rolling. At 14-5, the Yankees are the best damn team in exhibition baseball, the Alabama football of meaninglessness. This is not hype anymore. We have reached dogma. We lead the always-irrelevant Pirates by a half-nonexistent game, and yesterday, all inconsequential cylinders were fake-firing, as Michael Pineda threw five perfect, pointless innings.

Listen: I'm not complaining. It's not the Yankees' fault that nothing matters. In fact, we should embrace this magnificent insignificance. This could be one of the greatest teams in the history of March. Yesterday, Pineda threw five innings, allowed not one base runner and fanned eight. He's been a spring Drysdale, a grapefruit Clemens, a Tampon Verlander. Want to get giddy? Greg Bird hit his fourth useless HR, Chase Headley stole a worthless base and Jacoby Ellsbury is hitting an immaterial .308. Of course, it's just a dream. In fifteen days, we'll wake up and find that Pineda is once again our third starter, and we'll know in our hearts that he peaked on March fucking 15th in one of the first twilight games of spring.

I'm not complaining. A batter is a batter, and a game is a game. Pineda can't do better than 15 up and 15 down. But bookmark this date, because we know the reality. At some point, months from now, we will look back at March 15th and say, "Fuhhhhhhhk me, this was when we should'a traded him! We could have gotten somebody! Why the hell did we hold him?" 

Well, the answer, of course, is simple: The great and mighty Yankees - and their wise and warm-hearted fans - are hardcore addicts for the most dastardly drug ever cooked up by man: The hillbilly heroin known as hope.

Dear God, gimme some of that shit. I'll sell the house. I'll rob a bank. I'll even watch YES pre-game shows. Just gimme a dime bag of felony-grade, uncut hope. It doesn't have to be homegrown. It can come from Cuba or Japan, and it can be a long, white line or a syrupy brown dollop. I don't care. I'll swallow it. I'll mainline it. Just gimme, gimme, gimme... Ahhhhhhhhhh...

So... if you are thinking that the Yankees today would ever bundle Pineda with a dozen Cito Culvers and spin him into a 2019 World Series, nope - forget it. We never throw out good stash. Last July, when the kitchen was on fire and the cops were coming, Hal ran through the house, trading everything he could find - the ludes, the dust, the weed, El Chapo, Andrew Miller, everything. He sold it for a tidy sum - an unprecedented Yankee move. Most of the time, we're the ones out there on the street, looking to overpay for a bag of junk.

Today would have been the day we sold Pineda at his highest value. We won't, of course. And I'm not saying we should!  No way! He threw five perfectos! You can't trade him now! Maybe he's turned the corner! Maybe that crap he told Meredith Marakovits last month - you know, concentration, focus, blah-blah-blah - maybe he'll win 20! We're a half-game ahead of Pittsburgh. We're in a race, and I'm in my haze. Gimme some more. Ahhhhhh... actin' funny, but I don't know why. 'Scuze me, while I kiss the sky!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

TRUE HOW SPRING TRAINING IS A NOTHING BURGER..... HOWEVER!..... IT HAS TO BE A GREAT SIGN THAT GREG BIRD HAS 4 HOMERS (AND MULTIPLE EXTRA BASE HITS) SO FAR THIS SPRING..... I MEAN, HE IS HITTING THE BALL OVER THE FENCE, RIGHT?.....AND WE WERE WORRIED IF HIS POWER WAS SAPPED AFTER THE SURGERY..... SO THAT ALONE IS REASON ENOUGH TO BE HAPPY....... I HAVE SAID THIS BEFORE, IF PINEDA WENT TO A N.L. TEAM THAT COULD HIT JUST A LITTLE, HE WOULD BECOME AN INSTANT WINNER..... (SEE IVAN NOVA).

KD said...

the new shock collar must be helping with his focus!

JM said...

Shock collars work, indeed. Too bad that during the real season, the goop on Pineda's neck won't allow the collar to stay on.

Head cases are not cured in a month of meaningless baseball.

Joe Formerlyof Brooklyn said...

There is another reality. At least one other. In that one, GM Pineda is considering putting second baseman Hal Steinbrenner on permanent irrevocable waivers.

I want to go there.....might take a stronger drug than "hopium," tho.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.