Thursday, February 16, 2012

AJ Burnett: The Poem

Taught our clubhouse walk-off pies,
Liked by all the other guys,
Lifetime four-one ERA.
Traded for the time of day...


Beat the Phillies in Game Two.
Forearms flashed each weird tattoo.
Kept our batters safe from beans,
Traded for some stale sardines...


Pitched well in the playoffs past,
Threw until his arm was gassed.
Hated Boston, loathed the Sox.
Traded for a box of rocks…

Always gracious after winnings,
Last year threw one-ninety innings!
Only thirty-five years old,
Ditched so owner saved some gold…

3 comments:

REBECCA ROSENBERG said...

I'm truly touched. btw can you finger some Bernie Fine stuff stuff for us?
Things are slow re the Gashman

Flavius said...

I was at that game 2! A.J. is clutch! I'll miss the ol' kid.

On a side note: I am very happy the poems are back in full force.

Anonymous said...

I never thought poems by Sylvia Plath would make me laugh.