Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bill Hall is a Yankee until April 4

Putting the Giants' big victory into perspective, yesterday, we signed - or rented - utilitiy infielder Bill Hall.

He's 32, hit .211 last year and got punted to Triple A from the mighty Houston Astros and the other Giants, the San Francisco treat. That says it all... about Bill Hall.

Listen: I bear Bill Hall no malice. I like Bill Hall. I want only good things to happen to our newest Yankee, Bill Hall.

But the terms of the signing end April 4. On that date, we must bite or cut bait, allowing Bill Hall to get his applications in at Walmart. I truly hope Bill Hall does well and earns a spot on a major league team. But not the Yankees.

I say this with no sinister agenda against Bill Hall. For my money, Bill Hall is and always has been - well - THE QUINTESSENTIAL BILL HALL. Still, I prefer to believe we have fruit in our farm system with a higher ceiling than Bill Hall. I'm thinking Ramiro Pena, Brandon Laird and maybe some slick-fielding Bill Hall that nobody yet knows. Somebody. Anybody. The next Bill Hall. The future Bill Hall. Our home grown Bill Hall. A Bill Hall of any other name is just as Bill Hall.

But if it's The Bill Hall, so be it. Just rest assured, Bill Hall won't just get the slot simply because his name is Bill Hall.

No comments: