Tuesday, October 29, 2013

As the asteroid approaches, Lohud explodes with rage

Here is what happens at the end of the world: 

Some folks go to church. Some go downtown. And a few log onto the Internet to start fights.  Last night, the venerable Yankees Lohud blog - launched years ago by now-Redsock turncoat Pete Abraham - erupted into a Halloween bar brawl, with flames flying and comments being "moderated." 


We are seeing an in-Ruth's-house breakdown of social morality and - yes, as a bile-spitting passer of the Yankee rage virus - I'm probably as guilty as anyone. Watching our bitterest rivals roll to victory, while our team bathes in its own excrement - well, we're lucky this hasn't happened before.

But it's coming, folks: The Yankee apocalypse. A huge ethnic cleansing of the Yankee fan base. A lot of good people are going to head for the exits, and in the name of Cito Culver, I don't blame them.


OK, here it is: I'll link to it. But frankly, there's nothing to see anymore. Much has vanished, like the Yankee bullpen in September. Chad Jennings, or whomever was on the keyboard last night, worked late pressing the delete key. 


Listen: This is not our Penn State. This is more our Duke lacrosse. The Yankees aren't as bad as everything looks, but our state of hope right now is pretty horrible. The asteroid is about to hit.

The Redsocks are going to win the World Series, and next year, they might do it again. Boston did everything right this year. They get to party. We get the A-Rod trial.

It's a grim time to be a Yankee fan. And it's going to get worse. Get ready to start eating crap. The end of the world is not pretty. But at least, in theory, there is no aftertaste.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that 'Trisha' that plagues that website's comment section is like a bad case of the clap... She's never going away.

I think there has to be some relation to Curt 'I'll sell that signed Pedro Martinez ball for $30' Schilling. She is an utter blowhard, like Schill.

JM said...

And I missed the whole thing. I think I visited LoHud yesterday, but I almost never read the comments. They lack wit and elan. Unlike the comments here at IIH, I might add.

Consider Anonymous, above: "Curt 'I'll sell that signed Pedro Martinez ball for $30' Schilling." Parry, thrust, cut, moves on. No racism, no roiling, no disturbing language or insults to fellow IIH readers.

LoHud should dream of having such a readership. Perhaps they can change the name to LoBrow. That might work better for them.

I sniff derisively in their general direction. Which, from here, is North.

el duque said...

The worst part is waiting for the asteroid. Once it hits, we can start eating each other properly - with fava beans - and it won't be so bad.

Parson Tom said...

As usual, John is spot on. I've limited looking at the "news' blogs, of which LoHud is still the best example because of its normal adherence to objective journalism. River Ave? No, thanks. That's like getting lost in the weeds of conjecture and over-analysis, with the sanctimonious comments of "experts" mixed with the raw bleatings of pained or deluded fans.

Let me have my dose of silly paranoia and low comedy punctuated by the literate and unreasonable comments of the regular visitors to IIHIIFII...c, including Anonymous. That's enough Yankees for me -- unless the team actually wins 2 games in a row, in which case I go back to reading everything that's available. If the apocalypse is indeed coming, I will suffer alone.

Hannibal Lecter said...

Don't forget the chianti, duque.