Thursday, November 16, 2017

Game over for the NFL

If this holds, and medical science has finally discovered a way to detect chronic traumatic encephalopathy—or CTE—in living patients, then I hereby wish NFL owners and administrators a fond farewell to their global ATM. 

Because once a player is presented with a diagnosis that suggests permanent brain damage, I sincerely believe he will seek other lines of work... or be forced by the league to do so.

This will also effect baseball. Remember how Jacoby Ellsbury's season turned on a dime this year, after he ran into a wall and suffered a concussion. When he returned, he was terrible for six weeks - something the Yankees now say is a normal phenomenon. Could it have lasting damage? Do we want to know?

Obviously, baseball offers nothing like the constant brutality of football. I don't even think boxing compares to the NFL. But if a scan shows a player faces the risk early dementia - a future I would not wish upon anyone, even Redsocks - would it be worth the money? 

If it's true, NFL owners are about to suffer a concussion.

10 comments:

JM said...

It's a matter of time at this point. Early death, constant pain, dementia-like behavior...yeah, no thanks.

Anyone for badminton?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

It feels to me like in America guns and football are the end all be all.
What the hell is wrong with us? I don't think anything will change in FB even though all of our science is pointing to how it should change and why.
They say when you know better, you do better. I don't think that is the case here.

Anonymous said...

Yeah that could be it. No players. No game.

Oh well, at least we'll still have Rollerball.

Doug K.

KD said...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/17/als.lou.gehrigs.concussions/index.html

KD said...

why not put accelerometers in football helmets? when a reading comes in above a certain threshold, the player is sidelined for a certain number of games or until a brain scan clears him for further play. When an accumulation of a certain amount of force is recorded, the players season is finished. When a lifetime threshold is reached, the player's career is over and he is given a compensating amount of cash.

either do something like this to at least pretend the NFL takes this seriously, or get ready for a business-crushing number of well-earned lawsuits.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Interesting idea, KD. But I suspect what they'll do instead is just wait for the football robots to come online.

I saw some NFL players talking about how, hey, they loved this so much, that they would just as soon do it, even if it meant permanent brain damage.

That may be fine for them to say, but the rest of us have to deal with their medical costs, general welfare, and the results of all the damage their rages will do to others.

Anonymous said...

Battling Maxo!

Doug K.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

Battle bots?

TheWinWarblist said...

'Bout fucking time.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.