Sunday, February 18, 2018

A Yankee bold strategy for spring: Let's do nothing and see what happens.

In today's Murdoch, Joel Sherman opines that Cooperstown Cashman likely will horde his $20-$25 million in leftover salary cap/tax threshold money, and forego the low-hanging free agents still dangling on grapefruit league vines. The plan: Keep the mad money for the August 1 trade deadline, when an avalanche of big name salary dumps could scramble the pennant races beyond recognition. 

Close your eyes, and around July 31, you can imagine the likes of Madison Bumgarner and Manny Machado hitting the auction barn, with the Empire paying not only prospects but cash on the barrel-head. In the meantime, Cashman might chase a fading prospect, such as Jurickson Profar of the Rangers, in his eternal quest to collect all the Aaron Hickses of the universe. The Yankees might become the Team of Second Chances.

If that's the plan, count me in. The key to building with prospects is allowing them time to develop, and every wretched period in Yankee history is pocked with hasty decisions about slow-developing youngsters. Over the last 18 months, they broke Old George's generational need for Yankee instant gratification by allowing Gary Sanchez, Didi Gregorius, Aaron Judge, Luis Severino, Greg Bird and Aaron Hicks to survive sluggish periods. If this were the 1980s under Syd Thrift, it's not hard to see them all traded to other teams for the likes of a Rick Rhoden. But that doesn't seem to be Cashman's way, and - once again, with fingers crossed - let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

For now, let's embrace the perfect plan: 

Let's do nothing and see what happens.

Apparently, Cashman will wait on Glyber Torres, Miguel Andujar, Clint Frazier and a gaggle of young pitchers likely headed to Scranton. He recently let the Mets sign Todd Frazier and the Redsocks grab Edwin Nunez, and I don't see Yankee fans slinging bile over the losses. I don't even see a movement growing to sign Neil Walker or Wilbur the Talking Pig. 

We have the most interesting lineup in baseball. We don't need a stimulus package. We don't need new infrastructure. We just need time.

Let's do nothing and see what happens. 

6 comments:

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yep. Speaking of the youth, my cousin who lives down in the Everglades feeding marshmallows to the alligators to amuse the tourists and knows Anthony Rizzo says that Rizzo, who is not in the habit of talking guys up, raves about Gleyber. Says he not only keeps himself in terrific shape but is a baseball prodigy, with an incredible instinct for the the game.

We shall see. But yes, that sure beats Neil Walker.

The Olympics blocked soccer again today in the Times, but in its one little slot reserved for baseball, the Paper of Record turned to its other preference: the Mets. The now three-year story of David Wright's failed comeback precluded any Yankees. Another nil-nil result, just as we were almost rolling.

13bit said...

HC, I have come to cherish the daily back page coverage report. It's something I have come to rely on.

I was thinking it needs a good sponsorship tag line and, since it illustrates what we know to be an immutable truth, perhaps we could get some soda money from Kimberly-Clark and say "Horace Clarke's Back Page Scorecard - brought to you by Depends. You can count on it!"

Okay, I'll have some more coffee now and shut up for a while.

ranger_lp said...

I agree with Cash here. Yanks are in a position of strength. They are going to see if the young-ins pan out and wait it out until August to make a move. Of course if all goes south if by July 1st, the Yanks have a team total of 75 home runs.

Nah....couldn't happen.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Since I'm about ready for Depends, maybe I could take it out in product! But really, any sponsorship should feature the IBS Lady, a.k.a., the Sweetheart of It Is High.

Anonymous said...

I'll happily second that, HC - - IBS Lady, Forever!! As for Cash-puss, I reserve my judgment - - I just don't trust him, after seeing too many reclamation projects who should have been left to feed marshmallows to the alligators in the MARSH(mallow)land.

If he does, indeed, read this blog, perhaps there is hope. LB (No J)

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.