Monday, April 22, 2019

Austin Romine, lifelong Yankee, saves another home stand

Last year, Austin Romine achieved a batting average 58 points higher than the Yankee "star" catcher, the then-underwhelming Gary Sanchez. In 110 fewer at bats, Romine drove in only 11 less runs. Out of respect for Sanchez - who showed signs of awakening before his recent injury - let's ignore the issue of passed balls. The fact is, since rising through the Yankee farm system as an ugly sister backup to the great Jesus "Ice Cream Sandwich" Montero, Romine has always played understudy to an emerging, yet under-performing show pony, a future Yankee star who would then fail to live up to the press clippings. 

Last year, Romine's 265 plate appearances were the most in his career. At age 30, he has been a lifelong Yankee - a rarity that currently includes Brett Gardner, Dellin Betances, Aaron Judge, Miguel Andujar, Tyler Wade, Luis Severino, Sanchez and Greg Bird. (Something tells me Greg Bird won't make it.) But Romine is a free agent next winter, and - though he's paid $5 million - my guess is that he will seek his last big career contract, marketing himself as a starter for another team, in the manner of Francisco Cervelli a few years ago. (Did I mention that Kyle Higashioka also qualifies as a career Yankee?) 

I write this because yesterday, Romine saved the Yankee home stand and maybe the month of April. He did this not once but twice - driving in the tying run in the 8th with two outs, and then the winning run in the 10th. On the season (only 35 at bats), he is hitting .286... once again above Sanchez (but by only 17 points.) I can't remember a time when Romine hasn't come off the bench to help the Yankees when their starting catcher has been injured. He wears down over the long haul, but in pressure situations, he has been a stalwart. 

Of course, when Romine catches, the bottom of the Yankee lineup sags like Larry Rothschild's balls sac, and even in the current assortment of scrap heap veterans and last-chance minor leaguers, Romine usually bats eighth or ninth. (He hit 8th yesterday.) When Sanchez returns on Wednesday (in California), he will almost certainly bat third or fourth, and Romine will return to bench mode, or maybe as personal caddie to whatever pitcher needs therapeutic counseling during games. (Considering how well James Paxton pitched yesterday, he and Romine might become a thing.) 

Of the 67 catchers who have played in MLB games this season, 25 are hitting below .220, 24 have no HRs, and 18 have driven in one run or less. Yesterday, the Royals' catcher - Martin Maldonado - was hitting .175, though his defense won praise from the YES booth. The fact is, Romine can probably score a three or four-year deal, and as a grizzly, seasoned backup, he will probably catch until his late 30s.

The Yankees selected two catchers high in last year's draft, and they supposedly moved one of their most expensive Latino signings into that position. But none of those prospects will be ready for at least three years. Here's hoping that Romine stays put. The Yankees went two weeks without Sanchez, and Romine did his job. 

Again.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...sags like Larry Rothschild's balls sac..."

WTF! This was literally the last image I needed in my head first thing in the morning.

Congratulations. You've officially ruined my day.

That said, you're right about Romine.

- Matt

13bit said...

Larry’s immortal scrotum, flapping in the wind.

Carl J. Weitz said...

Duque, I was thinking about Austin yesterday and wondered how long he had in service time. A ballplayer's career can be said to hit four milestones: first MLB game, first hit, free agency and 10 years service time. Why 10 years of service time? Well, that's when the player is fully vested and gets a pension of close to a quarter million per year starting at age 62.Undoubtedly, that figure will go up for players playing in this decade and touching the next.

So I looked up his service time and noticed his contract. You should be his agent! His 2019 salary is only 1.8 and he is a free agent next year. My thoughts were the same as yours: what will Romine want and what do the Yankees think he is worth?

Personally, I'm not sure if at age 31 that he can get that 5 million plus per year in this climate. Most clubs would try a younger catcher with a minimum salary that could grow into the position or try to sign more of a star or a budding star much like the perception of Sanchez. So I don't think the market for a 6 + million 31 year old catcher that isn't a prolific HR hitter or has a high percentage of caught stealing is there. And his career BA is only .230

I think the Yankees would squeeze out 2.5-3.00 million out for him on a two year contract to keep him as a serviceable backup that plays good defense and handles pitchers well. I think Romine would take that contract as well.

Of course, you never know because the Yankees since Hal has taken over , they have gone through a string of cheap backup catchers that couldn't hick a lick like Chris Stewart, John Ryan Murphy,Eli Whiteside, Kyle Higashioka, and on and on.

All he needs is that 2 year contract and he hits that ten year pension milestone which most players feel fortunate to achieve.

TheWinWarblist said...

Larry's scrotum may be more ancient than a previously mentioned vagina and far more smelly.

13bit said...

the scrotum, my friend, is blowing in the wind. the scrotum is blowing in the wind...

Anonymous said...

Warblist fantasizes about his vagina, which is now in the shape of a small, shriveled shlong.

Leinstery said...

How many scoreless innings will Matt Harvey throw tonight?

ranger_lp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ranger_lp said...

I'm starting a rumor that the real reason Jacoby Ellsbury is on the IL is because of a torn labia.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Tyler Wade is simply useless.

I never want to hear that guy complain about being sent down again. He can't hit, can't lay down a bunt.

HoraceClarke66 said...

All right, so he can field.

HoraceClarke66 said...

The Gleyber looks lost out there.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Damn, they let Harvey get away. Two runs in six innings.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Well, good game for Happ. But après lui, l'arson.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Top of the 8th, one out, Gardner on first. Why isn't he running?

Probably because we have all of 6 stolen bases in 21 games (sigh).

Leinstery said...

Homeruns or nothing Horace, you should know the rules.

Some day they'll hit bad pitching...I can dream can't I.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Oh no, it's Mr. O.

Yanks continue to flash some leather out there, but I don't know if it will save the Big Zero.

HoraceClarke66 said...

You got it, Leinstery.

In the 8th, the Angels had a reliever out there that their catcher had the devil's own time dealing with. Once Gardy got a walk, they could have quickly got him to third; as it was, he got to second on a passed ball, but an out too late.

Nope. That's not how you play baseball the Yankee Way.

Instead, we had to wait to the next inning to have Frazier go at it, one on one, against a better, faster reliever. He lost that battle. As far as Ma Boone is concerned, I'm sure, the game is over.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Said pitcher, by the way, was Hansel Robles, the former Mets jerk-off. We couldn't touch him.

But hey, no sense manufacturing a run when you're not hitting...

HoraceClarke66 said...

Ah, a second inning for Mr. Zero! With Trout leading off.

Starting heading for the parking lot, Angels fans...

Anonymous said...

IT'S HARD TO WIN, ESPECIALLY IN EXTRA INNINGS, WHEN EVERYONE ON OUR TEAM IS SWINGING FOR THE FENCES...

EVERYONE.

LUKE 3-0 COUNT WITH 1 OUT, SWINGING FOR THE FENCES. (STRUCK OUT).

GLEYBER THE LAST 2 TIMES UP...SWINGING FOR THE FENCES. (NO DICE).

NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN BUILDING A RUN ANYMORE.

SORRY, BUT THIS IS NOT THE CORRECT WAY TO PLAY BASEBALL.

THE FOUNDING FATHERS OF THE GAME ARE CHUCKLING.

HoraceClarke66 said...

I could not agree more, ALL-CAPS.

The Ynaks have had their last 11 in a row retired, and have had 1 baserunner since the 4th inning.

It's stupid enough that the team is built just to swing for the fences. But WHY WHY WHY when half your team is injured, do you insist on playing the exact same way???

Among other things, once you moved him from the leadoff spot and he paid off with a couple of big, multi-run homers, WHY would you put Gardner back at the top of the lineup???

Coops, Boone, and co. missed their calling. They would have been right at home running the USSR or some other such communist state, c. 1930-1980.

Just keep doing the same thing you're doing, no matter how much it keeps failing. Who you gonna believe, your lying eyes or the analytics?

HoraceClarke66 said...

Yeah, knew that was coming—the Aroldis meltdown. It's been all the Arson Squad has been missing so far.

HoraceClarke66 said...

In my next life, I want to come back as Aaron Boone. That was about the worst job of managing I've seen by a Yankee skipper since Joe Torre handed the 2004 pennant to the Red Sox.

Boone did as little as humanly possible to win that game. Among many, many other things, do ya think maybe you could risk playing your back-up catcher in the 14th inning??

Nah, not our Boonie. Hey, whatever you do, DON'T manage. Don't put on a play, don't steal a base, don't try to shake up the other team in any possible way.

Just hope that you'll win thanks to a Little-League error and an injury that leaves the other team pinch-hitting a pitcher...for a pitcher.

Hey, sometimes it works. For Aaron Boone.

ranger_lp said...

That's ok...Logan Morrison will come and save the day soon...

jane good said...

Hello i am here to spread this good news to the entire world on how i got my ex love back.I was going crazy when my love left me for another girl last month,But when i meet a friend that introduce me to DR IROSI the great messenger to the oracle that he serve,I narrated my problem to DR IROSI about how my ex love left me and also how i needed to get a job in a very big company.He only said to me that i have come to the right place were i will be getting my heart desire without any side effect.He told me what i need to do,After it was been done,In the next 2 days,My love called me on the phone and was saying sorry for living me before now and also in the next one week after my love called me to be pleading for forgiveness,I was called for interview in my desired company were i needed to work as the managing director..I am so happy and overwhelmed that i have to tell this to the entire world to contact DR IROSI at the following email address DRIROSISOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL.COM and get all your problem solve..No problem is too big for him to solve..Contact him direct on DRIROSISOLUTIONCENTER@GMAIL.COM or call his mobile number or add him up on whatsapp via (+2348118829771). and get your problems solve like me.    

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.