Friday, May 15, 2020

Twilight of the Gods: R.I.P. Bob Watson

Bob Watson - who with the late Gene Michael built the last great Yankee dynasty - died yesterday. 

He served as Yankees GM from 1995 to 1998, a period of dominance that we quite likely never again will see in our lifetimes. 

He will also be remembered for scoring the millionth run in MLB history... but just barely.


After scoring the run, Watson joked that his fan mail doubled - "from four letters to eight." Later, after the hubbub, updated research showed that it was a farce - that MLB's numbers were way off, and some unknown player scored the millionth run. But who cares?

"Bull" Watson finished a 19-year MLB career with a lifetime average of .295 and 989 RBIs. The first African-American GM to win a World Series, he was diagnosed with Stage 4 kidney disease in 2016.

Bob Watson, dead at 74.

Why isn't this man in Cooperstown? 

6 comments:

JM said...

He's not in Cooperstown because they're saving the space for Cashman, the Boy Genius.

Not as much space in the hall as there used to be.

Anonymous said...

THE MAN COULD HIT.

Unknown said...

The name is pronounced con-cep-si-own you idiot!

Rufus T. Firefly said...

So sad to hear. Great player and GM. And without the self-promotion that is way too common nowadays.

HoraceClarke66 said...

A nice tribute, Duque.

He was a fine player, and one of the Holy Trinity, along with Gene and Buck, who built the Last Yankees Dynasty.

Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.