Friday, April 19, 2024

The Talking Bottle Opener in the Lake

 

Sure, El Duque, our Peerless Leader "accidentally" dropped his John Sterling, talking Yankees bottle opener into a suspiciously unnamed "lake."

Uh-huh.  

If you believe that one, there's a bridge in Syracuse I'd like to sell. (I'm not being coy. I don't know which bridge. My knowledge of Syracuse bridges is nonexistent.)

But I digress.

You know, I know, the American people know that what Duque was REALLY doing with his John Sterling Talking Yankees Bottle Opener was setting the scene for choosing the next king of the broadcast booth.

Some day, some young man (or woman, Suzyn!) who dreams of nothing but being the next voice of the Yankees, will be walking along the banks of this ostensibly anonymous "lake," when he/she will hear a voice—a sort of crooning, yearning, siren's voice calling to him/her.

She/he/it will turn, startled, and look into the lake.  And there will spy the hand of a woman of other-worldly, ethereal beauty, holding up Duque's "lost" bottle opener.

And then our knight errant will understand the words the Lady of the Lake is singing:

"There's no predicting baseball...Arthur! Er, Suzyn!" And then burst into a Broadway-quality rendition of "C'est lui!"

And so the next king of the booth will be chosen.








11 comments:

BTR999 said...

I actually have one of those, still works after about 15 years.
It is so loud it makes the dog bark.

Kevin said...

Getting a bit Arthurian here, Horace?

JM said...

Hey, I thought the next king of the booth had to pull the talking bottle opener out of a large stone.

I'm getting so confused.

AboveAverage said...

Hey Hoss - Maybe John Boorman could be talked out of retirement to direct the movie based around The Talking Bottle Opener in the Lake.

(There'd likely be a lot of the color GREEN in that one too)

AboveAverage said...

Was of course referencing Boorman's movie, Excallibur. Then again it could just turn out to be like Boorman's Lady in the Lake reference from Deliverance. We are talking about Syracuse after all . . .

The Hammer of God said...

Mer-lin: "He that pulleth the John Sterling Talking Bottle Opener from the water, he shalt be the next King of the Broadcast Booth."

Hoss, thanks for that! Excalibur is one of my favorite movies. Might very well be my all time personal fave.

The scene with Percy throwing Excalibur into the water, with Wagner's music crescending - I believe it's Siegfried's funeral march from Gotterdamerung - enough to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. No other movie scene ever did that for me. All right everyone, if you don't feel the hair rising on your neck, then maybe you just aren't into kings and queens, knights and chargers, swords and armor, desperate duels and climactic battles to the death. Not for everyone, of course, but I loved it!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Thanks, guys! And yeah, I get confused about that stone/lake stuff, too.

But let us remember: Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Publius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Publius said...

That's right Hoss. If I went 'round saying I was the next John Sterling just because some moistened bint cracked open my cold one, I'd be taken away.

AboveAverage said...

Like the python reference

TheWinWarblist said...

T'is true. So very true.