Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Letter to the Editor: Connecticut is conflicted

Hartford Courant (Connecticut)

January 6, 2011 Thursday

Dear Editor

In response to Mark J. Drozdowski's Jan. 2 Opinion article "N.Y. Or Boston: Fans Must Choose":

I am an avid fan of the New York Yankees, New York Giants, New England Patriots and the Boston Bruins. I live in Central Connecticut, and the only New England sports franchise I can't stand is the Red Sox.

I like both cities' teams for variety. In the recent Super Bowl between the Giants and Pats, I was leaning toward the Giants to win, based on the Pats' recent Super Bowl success, and the Giants winning it would give both teams the same amount of Super Bowl titles.

I am a Yankees fan because my grandfather took me to my first baseball game at the old Yankee Stadium when I was around 10 years old. I knew absolutely nothing of baseball. The Yankees beat the Sox in that game, and I proclaimed myself a Yankees fan. Only a few years later did I realize the fierce rivalry between the two clubs, and thought, "Well, I certainly chose the right team to become a fan of."

I think Mr. Drozdowski should accept that, yes, Connecticut is a very conflicted when it comes to sports team fandom. Just because New Yorkers and Bostonians hate one another is no reason that Nutmeggers have to choose one side or the other. That's preposterous.

Scott McCarthy
Bristol

No comments: