Sunday, April 9, 2017
Posted by Alphonso at 11:22 AM
It is time to panic.
1. Bird will be out a month, minimum. If he tries to come back too early ( and he will ), he'll wind up with plantar fasciitis.
2, Sanchez will be out until the all star game. The 10 day DL was just a stop-gap measure, until the Yankees can truly assess this bicep injury. And, by the way, what might that do to his throwing ability? When NFL players have torn similar muscles, they are done for the year.
3. Judge will be out until he shows he can do something at the plate, which may be never. Hicks is outplaying him right now, and the big guy just cannot be our DH/Pinch runner.
4. Tanaka is a mystery. One can only hope that mystery does not get "solved" through arm surgery. Many of us have worried about the Yankees treatment regimen for him ( " he just needs rest, despite the small tear" ), since last season.
5. Pineda is, pure and simple, a bum who hurts this team in every appearance. He should be traded for pretty much " a body, any body." Time to elevate one of the young guys, and hold onto the railing.
6. I , for one ( possibly the only one ), have yet to build much faith/hope in Luis Severino. I thought he looked really good for four innings the other day, and almost began to believe. Then, he tanked. So, the jury is still out.
7. With CC being our last, best hope, I am taking to drinking at 10:00am.
We still have Gardy, who is hot. Jacoby who is cooling off. Headley who is smart ( going to LF with his at bats, wherever possible ) , Starlin who won't walk, and Chris Carter at first. Add in Romine and we have a pretty unimpressive offense. Torreyes is admirably filling in, until we see Didi in late June.
Yes, we are going to see what this team is made of. Can we " hold the fort" until re-enforcements arrive? Or are we going to see smoke and fire from a great distance in last place?
It is time for unexpected to heroes to "step up."