Monday, July 30, 2007

Diary of a Great Yankee Fan

In 1967, no one more followed baseball more passionately than young Hillary Rodham -- who, as everyone knows -- is a life-long Yankee fan.

.
Until recently, no one realized how intensely she raged in letters to friends about the 1967 ballclub, which struggled under Manager Ralph Houk. Some excerpts:
.
On the infield of Joe Pepitone, Horace Clarke, Ruben Amaro and Charlie Smith: "I’ve gone through three and a half metamorphoses and am beginning to feel as though there is a smorgasbord of personalities spread before me."
.
After one tough loss to Boston: "Sunday was lethargic from the beginning as I wallowed in a morass of general and specific dislike and pity."
.
On the signing of former Red Sox ace Bill Monbouquette: “Don’t begrudge me my mercenary interest."
.
On her attraction to slugger Joe Pepitione: "Can you be a misanthrope and still love or enjoy some individuals?”
.
At the end of the season, with the team next to last: "I’m sitting here at a stolen table in a pair of dirty denim bell-bottoms, a never-ironed work shirt and a beautiful purple felt hat with a purple polka-dotted scarf streaming off it. I’m really tired of people slamming doors and screaming obscenities at poor old life."

1 comment:

Stang said...

She plunked Vince Foster.