Saturday, October 15, 2011

Letter to the Editor: A-Rod would do it

Naples Daily News (Florida)
October 12, 2011 Wednesday

Editor, Daily News:

The Daily News carried an article touching on a subject that has mystified me for years.

Americans just can't get into one of the most popular spectator sports in the world - soccer - and the rest of the world wonders why.

There must be something wrong with us.

The world goes berserk; we change channels.

A good friend of mine (seasonal, and of Portuguese upbringing), called and asked me if the Fox Soccer Channel is available here on Comcast. I told him yes. (I think he comes to Naples in the winter, not for the weather, but because the Fox Soccer Channel is available here and not in Ohio.)

Honestly, I've tried. I once watched a soccer game with him, and I was snoring five minutes in. Bunch of guys in striped shirts chasing a ball around and kicking each other. This seemed to make my friend apoplectic.

On occasion a man ran out onto the field and held up a card. This mysterious card was obviously very powerful, as it often triggered a fight on the field and my friend began to swear loudly in Portuguese and apparently had some kind of epileptic fit of anger.

We once watched a Tampa Bay Rays-New York Yankees baseball game, and he wanted to know why the guy with the bat just didn't walk out and hit the other guy who kept throwing the ball at him.

I told him that sometimes he did, especially if the batter was Alex Rodriguez.

- Jim Jolly
Naples

No comments: