Monday, January 4, 2016

Baseball America's top ranked Boston prospect has a familiar name

I know what you're thinking:

Why bother...? What's done is done... it's over... if the Yankees didn't care, why should we...

Well, I can tell you one thing I have learned: Nobody will ever invent a time machine. I know this because if people could go back in time, a die hard Yankee fan surely would set the Wayback to Dec. 3, 1969, steal Baby Hal Steinbrenner from the birthing room and then sell the infant to the Swedish mafia.

There is no point in continuing to weep over a rotten decision made nearly a year ago. We know the deal: Hal had emptied his penny purse on four-years of Chase Headley - $13 million per - and the Boy Owner was done with signing away his inheritance checks. As Moncada hit the market, we steeled ourselves for the certainty that another Cuban star was headed to LA or Arizona, or some Pittsburgh-like burg where "luxury taxes" don't exist. Nobody imagined we would ever lose a bidding war to Boston. No Yankee owner would allow it, certainly not a Steinbrenner.

Ever since Moncada, the stark reality has rocked us: The Yankees are no longer the premier team in baseball. They're not even the most interesting or fun to watch, and their owner - despite empty words to the media - puts frugality over winning. They possess the largest public relations apparatus in the game, if not in American sports, and it continually churns out a hopeful pitter-patter. Through this vast machinery - and the additional Wild Card slot - they can maintain a "pennant race" into late September. The tickets get sold.

This winter, the YES machine constantly touts our upper tier prospects - Mateo, Bird, Judge, Sanchez, etc. - and yes, there is hope in those names. But soon, Baseball America will start ranking farm systems instead of each team's Top Ten list, and the Yankees will fall in the middle of the pack, maybe even the lower end, behind the teams we need to beat. What's most maddening is that this didn't have to happen. We could have signed Moncada. We could be dreaming about a future keystone combination for the ages. Instead, we watch Boston, and we wince.

4 comments:

JM said...

OK, off-topic, but it's just been amazing how many ways the Giants were able to lose this season. Absolutely remarkable. If you had to write a screenplay of a football team with a severe psychological aversion to winning, you couldn't come up with this many losing scenarios.

Coughlin is supposed to go today. I'd say I'm glad to see him move on, but I celebrated when Torre finally left the Yankees after his mediocrity caught up with him when the Yanks didn't have the perfect cast anymore. And after that little celebration, we got jarhead Girardi. So I'll restrain myself when Coughlin has his press conference, just in case.

I don't even follow the Jets but they couldn't beat the Bills? The Bills? Really?

el duque said...

Coughlin is a great man, I give him that. But he never built the Giants into a successful franchise. He had two magnificent runs - never to be forgotten - but used up all his luck in winning those Super Bowls. He must have made a deal with Old Scratch, because the rest of the time, the ball always bounced in the wrong direction, and Coughlin's ability to lose winnable games became the stuff of legend.

The most interesting piece of information on yesterday's home game - nobody mentioned it on the NFL shill-cast - came in the NY Times; it noted at game time, about 1/4 of the seats were empty. This was the last game of Coughlin's era, and only three quarters of the ticket-holders showed up. That's how awful it's been, being a Giants fan. The last four years sucked the air right out of our lungs.

If for some reason, Coughin returns, I would simply have to find another team. I love the guy as a person. I can't bear the thought of another year of him as Giants coach.

Rufus T. Firefly said...

You missed the real red sux story:

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2016/01/boston_red_sox_unveil_new_masc.html

With this addition, they could be better than the 1927 Yankees!

I await an article similar to this one:
http://nesn.com/2011/01/2011-red-sox-will-challenge-1927-yankees-for-title-of-greatest-team-in-major-league-history/

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.