Saturday, January 16, 2016

Is it a bad sign when the Yankees are picking up table scraps?

Last month, the Yankees lost two prospects in the annual MLB Rule 5 draft, an event that rivals the infield fly rule for its complexity. One of the players was Jake Cave, a promising CF who looked good last year in both Scranton and Wilkes Barre. When we lost Cave, the general pitter-patter across the Yankiverse went this way:

The Yankee farm is so flush with tomatoes that other teams are snapping up our leftover beefsteaks.

Fine. So be it. When we find other teams scuba diving in our dumpster, the Yankees must be doing something right.

So what do we make of two obscure, atomic-level transactions last week, which basically involve the outer rings of our 40-person roster?

Yesterday, we claimed OF Lane Adams off waivers from the KC Royals. He's 26, bats RH, and hit .281 last year between AA and AAA. He stole 31 bases. In simple terms, he looks destined for the Scranton coal yard.

I don't mean to belittle Adams, who may yet have a fine career. But at this point in time, he doesn't exactly look like a barn-burner. Also, he replaces Ronald Torreyes, an obscure OF we obtained three days earlier in a minor league deal that was most memorable for its lack of consequence.

A month after losing prospects, the Yankees are signing 26-year-old warm bodies. I doff my cap to Brian Cashman's relentlessness in combing the waiver wires - (the guy must have a phone ap that makes a bugle call whenever somebody is let go.) But there is no way the Yankee courtiers can spin these moves as hopeful signs. For all the talk about our revived farm system - revived when compared to our former system, not to other teams - we sure are hungry for table scraps. And that is not a good sign.

1 comment:

Isiyku Abdulahi said...

I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.