Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Tulo homers in Florida, but the Yankees cannot pretend to need him

Troy Tulowitzki began a rehab assignment yesterday with the Single A Tampa Tampons, Tarpons - (whatever, it's that team that still pisses off the Devil Rays so much) - and as dedicated fans of Cooperstown Cashman's Dark Star, we wish Tulo only the best. 

The happy news from the wondrous state of sinkholes and African pythons is that Tulowitzki went 1-3 with a first-inning HR and a hit-by-pitch. Sadly, I'm not sure which presented the greater omen for his future.  

Listen, we cannot root for any player to retweak his gonad, especially one as respected as the venerable Tulowitzki, whose late-career journey into pinstripes seems lifted from the pages of Tolkien or Danielle Steel. But one unfortunate glitch in the matrix remains: The Yankees have no use for him, and I'm not sure they ever did.

Since Tulo went missing - (a gentle reminder: he didn't last the first home stand of 2019) - Gleyber Torres moved to SS and became the Yankees best player. He's hitting .272 with five HRs (should have six, but the umps robbed him), while anchoring the infield defensively. Meanwhile, our second-best player has been the pleasant surprise known as DJ LeMahieu, now hitting .310 and playing everywhere. (Of course, LeMahieu bruised a knee and missed last night; the tandem that filled in - Thairo Estrada and Tyler Wade - brought a combined 0-6 with three strikeouts, rendering the lower third of the lineup toothless and untesticled.) It's been a long time (2013) since a Yankee lineup looked so anemic, but go figure: They've won seven of nine.

Soon, maybe next week, Tulowitzki will return to do - what? Part of the deal Cashman made was that he'll get a chance to play every day SS. Thus, Gleyber goes back to 2B, and General Curtis LeMahieu shifts to 3B or enters cryonic suspension until Miguel Andujar returns - if he returns - and then what? Gio Urshella, who has absolutely proven himself to be a MLB 3B, will vanish into the fast-food laden highway exits of Clark's Summit.

Andujar played seven innings yesterday in the Florida State League. He went 0-4 with two errors (in five chances.) Clearly, he's got some rehabbing left. And let's face it: a healthy Andujar is a hitting machine. We have to go with him: a 25-year-old, potential future all-star at 3B. Nothing must stand in his way, right? That's how I see it. So... this means what for Tulo?

Hope for another tweaked gonad, I guess.

The Yanks have enjoyed their best stretch of the season via a patchwork set of miniature heroes. Something tells me the return of our Olympian gods will come with strikeouts, runners left on base and post-game Boonian shoulder shrugs. For better or worse, Tulo will soon return. From a literary standpoint, I applaud this. But the fan side of me cringes. Why are we doing this? The guy will always be a twitch away from the Injured List. I hope I'm wrong. I hope he returns and shuts my big fat mouth, once and for all. But every night, with every play, with every swing, there will be the chance of the grimace, the clutch of the hip, the trainer running out, and the long slow walk to down the dugout steps. Unless he learns to play in bubble-wrap, there is only one future for Tulowitzki, and it is winding down. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...


As you alluded, these things have a way of working themselves out. It's like the Voit vs. Bird problem. Voit is clearly better but the Yankees have a thing for Bird. If Bird stays healthy... oh, problem solved.

Speaking of which... I almost did a full blown Bye Bye Birdie yesterday with such Broadway Classics as...

Bye Bye Birdy (duh)

Bye Bye Birdy
We hate to see you go.
Don’t cry Birdy.
It’s cause your bat’s too slow.

Bye Bye Birdie,
You will not get to smash,
Home Runs Birdie.
Aud-it-tion for M.A.S.H

We can not wait some more
To see if you are fine
Too many injured feet.
And Voit's do-ing just fine.

Bye Bye Birdy
It’s down to Triple A.
We tried Birdy
There you're gonna
Stay-ay ay ay ay
We have seen you play.

To which Birdy replies with the song "One Last Hit" (One Last Kiss)

One last Hit,
Oh give me one last hit
Even though I play like shit.
You know I play like shit
Let me bat one more time I’m I’m I’m
Going to try for one last hit.

But Steve Donahue (as Albert)gives him the bad news to the tune of Put on a Happy Face, with Put on This Metal Brace

You never will bat clean up
Put on this metal brace.
Now add a cast and tear up.
We’re in a pennant race.

I’ve rubbed you down with linament
It didn’t work.
Maybe you should, buy a yoga mat.
It couldn’t hurt.

You always look so gloomy.
You'll never get a ring.
Now you should listen to me
Move on to a-nother thing.

The whirl-pool
is your final place So
Put on this metal brace!


But I changed my mind.

Doug K.


JM said...

Catchy tunes, Doug. By the way, Ann Margaret appeared on Happy! the other week, the most twisted show ever on Syfy. Maybe TV in general. Nice to see her still working, especially after the death of her long-time husband, Roger Smith, star of 77 Sunset Strip.

el duque said...

Keep in mind that Grant Morrison, the legendary creator of "Happy," is a friend of AHOY Comics, our sideline. His short pieces appeared in our first books ever published.

Anonymous said...

....AND WHAT ABOUT WHEN DIDI COMES BACK?

GOD FORBID THE "DEATH STAR" NOT GET ITS $567.000 LEAGUE MINIMUM WORTH OF VALUE.

THE FACT THAT HE DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT THROUGH THE FIRST HOME STAND ON AN INJURY THAT WASN'T EVEN VISIBLE, IS PROOF ENOUGH, THAT THIS "EXPERIMENT" IS A WASTE.

HOPE HE SHOVES IT DOWN OUR THROATS, BUT, I DON'T SEE IT.

HE JUST WON'T LAST.

Joe Formerlyof Brooklyn said...


Release Tulo.

Get that old tape of Ann-M signing and moving to Bye-Bye Birdie.

Turn off the lights....

Joe Formerlyof Brooklyn said...


Uh, of course it's on YouBoob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t3cBTb3xPc

13bit said...

West Village Comics promised they would get me a copy, but they crapped out. Will it be on Amazon?

Tulo? Rhymes with nothing...

No future.

He won't go hungry.

Next...

wildgoosechase said...

Who has options? That's who should get sent down. I wouldn't cry at the idea of Estrada or Wade or Ford being sent back to AAA once Tulo is ready to return. Chances are, they'll be back

HoraceClarke66 said...

What, 13it? Tullo rhymes with Hulo, of course!

Goodbye, Tulo
We'll see you next on Hulo!
Don't cry Tulowitzki
You're gonna have to sitz-ky...

All right, still needs some work.

What we should HOPE for is that Tulo hits like a madman, but so does everyone else, and we trade him off for some blue-chip arms. Hooray!

What will HAPPEN is that Tulo will tweak something or other in another few days.

HoraceClarke66 said...

And great work, Doug K.!

I think you have another Ann Marg-rock hit. Now come up with something to the tune of, "My Rival Is Baby-Blue Racing Car."

"My rival is a knighted Caribbean star"?

"My rival is the next big Yankees star"?

I dunno. Gonna have to take it out of town first...like Tulo.

Stang said...

13bit, The Wrong Earth is up on Amazon for preorders and it'll shop in two weeks. Thanks for wanting it!

HoraceClarke66 said...

Great work on "The Wrong Earth," guys.

What I want to know, though, is how you were able to get into Hal's private box for the uncannily realistic scenes depicted there.

el duque said...

Hal loves us. He thinks the nickname "Food Stamps" makes him sound like a regular guy.

13bit said...

Thanks, Mustang. I will order it.

JM said...

Happy! and Ahoy. I shoulda known!

John Keck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Isiyku Abdulahi said...


I really want the world to know about this great man who brought back happiness into my life again after my husband left me and the kids 3 years ago for another women online when i contacted Dr Believe he cast a love spell for me within 48 hours my ex husband start calling me and begging for forgiveness for everything that have happened between us. I was so happy to have my family back together with love again here is the email of Dr Believe via believelovespelltemple@gmail.com a man with the great powers you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348156148821
God bless you
I am very grateful for your help in my marriage.