Wednesday, December 21, 2022

I Totally Relate To Steve Cohen

(I would rather BE related to Steve Cohen but that's another story.)

Every few years I sit down with my copy of "Baseball Mogul 2010", start in 1964 and, with the 100% accuracy that is hindsight, save the Yankees.  

My rosters are comprised exclusively of Hall of Famers. I draft extremely well. I make "one sided" trades that seem like great deals for the other team. For example, I once traded the 1966 version of Whitey Ford, Mickey Mantle and four nobodies for some kid named Tom Seaver. He won 546 games over the course of his career. 

Hard to do? Not when your team averages 126 wins a year. 

I liked watching the Yankees win. 

So, when Steve Cohen seizes the day and puts Correa at 3rd to go with Lindor at SS (Shades of A-Rod moving over to accommodate Jeter) plus adds Verlander etc. I immediately thought…

Maybe he's a time traveler or The Man Who Fell To Earth but regardless...

On any given day the Mets are going to win because their billionaire owner is actually going to watch the game and gives a crap.

I remember having ownership like that. 

Speaking of falling to Earth...

With all of those insanely great teams that I put together as I played from 1964 to 2010. I only won the World Series about half the time.

There’s a lesson in there somewhere.

15 comments:

The Archangel said...

I have become so jaded that giving the "C"to Judge just seems like a marketing thing.
Good job by Cohen to upstage that "C" ceremony.
Shades of the Boss.

HoraceClarke66 said...

Pretty funny, Doug.

But oh baby, I love it! As we have often said, ONLY an ambitious Mets owner will prod HAL to go all out. I eagerly await his counter.

Joe of AZ said...

You know come to think of it they did have a private Convo before the winter meetings I wonder what THAT was all about

edb said...

Doug, Hal did step up. I am not a huge fan of Carlos Correa. Not worth the money. He is certainly better than Done aldson. As Brian Tierney said today, "The Yankees did not go after
Correa because of the dopey moves they made last season." We have four more years of Genius Cashman and his dopey moves.

Jaraxle said...

And the Muts are still not better than Philly and probably not better than Atlanta

Doug K. said...

The Padres made some big moves too.

I wonder if we're getting back to the days of First Division/Second Division.






ranger_lp said...

If the powers that were wanted to stop this excessive spending, they would institute a hard salary cap...but they wont...

AboveAverage said...

. . . at this stage of the game, addition through subtraction (I'M GLARING AT YOU DONALDSON AND HICKS!) is also a monetary move of great significance . . . so perhaps a release and/or trade or two will occur costing some major HALCOIN . . .

HoraceClarke66 said...

True, ranger. Or, you know, spend sensibly on what they want. But that's always been beyond their powers.

Doug K. said...

Luxury tax payments... uh competitive balance payments goes to the players assoc. and teams that stay under the cap.

The owners that get them, who are for the most part not willing to use it to be competitive, stick the $$$ in their pockets.

So a guy like Steve Cohen actually makes them money by overpaying players they wouldn't go after to begin with.

Plus, when these "super teams" come into town they get increased attendance if only from the fans of the super teams.

So there is no incentive to have a hard cap for them. Plus they would then be held to having to invest/pay more $$$ on their payroll.

AboveAverage said...

I love baseball

13bit said...

the owner "gives a crap"

that's it, Doug. what I have been accusing - and all of us, I might add - Hal of all along: he doesn't care.

brian cannot make up for it, although for the amount we spend, he could compensate for Hal's non-crapitude, but the other half of the equation is: "Brian is a moron" when it comes to baseball.

So, Hal doesn't care and Brian is an idiot. From that equation, all else flows, like vomit downstream...

doo wop rebbe said...

reminisciant of yanks getting a-rod 2009 excepted that didnt work out that well

JM said...

Cohen is no doubt roiling the boys' club. They tried to enact a special fourth-tier luxury tax that targeted only him, but the players' union squashed that. Naturally. If the other owners cared about anything other than the P&L statements, they'd be out there bidding. But the "legal" collusion that keeps money in their pockets --including money collected from teams that have the audacity to spend --makes sure they don't. Bisterds.

The Archangel said...

in baseball "competitive balance" is an oxymoron